Saturday, March 29, 2008

20 Year Anniversary

Today is the 20 year anniversary of my family moving from England to America. As a 13 year old child, it was exciting and adventurous, but as an adult I look back at it very differently. I admire my parents who at the time were only a couple of years older than I am now, who packed up their four children, their home and belongings and all life as they knew it to begin a new life across the world! I admire them for their faith and optimism that all would be well.

I have been blessed with the unique experience of learning to love a country. As a teenager, after living here a couple of years, I felt conflicted to be split between two countries and felt that maybe I'd never feel at home somewhere. Since that time I have been blessed with the opportunities to return to England several times and I have the same experience each time as the plane approaches both England and America. I feel at home. I no longer feel conflicted. Instead, I consider it a wonderful blessing to have two countries to love. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to live in England and now to live in America. I have been blessed with love and appreciation for two different countries that are both important to me. As much as I love England and my heritage there, I am grateful for my unique experience of developing a love of America and America is where I plan to stay.

And perhaps that is why my good friend Brandi, always tells me I am the most patriotic person she knows!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails