Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Little Things




The other morning, I drove in the car by MYSELF for 45 minutes. It really was quite glorious. No one asked me to turn on their music, no one told me someone was poking them, no one asked when we would be there, no one even spoke to me. I very much enjoyed my solitary drive. It gave me time to think, to reflect and to ponder. Considering where I was driving to, this was very valuable alone time.

I was driving to the funeral of a nine year old girl. My thoughts particularly reflected on what touched me the previous night at the little girl’s viewing. While we waited in line to greet the family for over an hour, we had the opportunity to watch different videos/photos of this little girl’s short life. What touched me the most were the home videos and the photos that were just ‘everyday’ events. It wasn’t the formal photo family sittings, it wasn’t videos of birthdays and holidays that made up the majority. It was photos and videos capturing day to day life, photos of funny pulled faces, silly spontaneous activities, impromptu family time, and all the little things that make up our days.
I have said it before, and the other day it was reiterated again, “Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you’ll look back and realize they were the big things.”

I think about all those photos and videos, our dear friends have taken for years, that are now priceless memories.  And even for those of us that are blessed to still have all of our children living with us, we never know what tomorrow may bring.  This week I am doing my best to pay attention to the 'not so obvious' moments of life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails