Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Getting What We Want

Dear Megan, Luke, Ellie, Joshua and Drew,

I have a very big pet peeve.  Well, I have lots, but this one in particular really gets to me; the words
"I don't want to."
Does that really matter most of the time?  I don't care if you don't want to make your bed, brush your teeth, do your chores or your homework or practice the piano, etc.
Because guess what?
You don't always get what you want.
(Drew, August 2010)

Do you think I always get what I want?
Let's think for just a minute all the things I may get asked/told to do in the course of a day?

"Mom, will you untie this knot for me?"
"Drew's poopy, can you come change him now?"
"Will you get me a snack?"
"The toilet is clogged, come fix it."
"Help, I spilled my food."
"Read this book to me." (for the 1,067th time) 
"I sneezed and look what came out of my nose?" 
"My shoes are covered in mud and I need to wear them tomorrow."
"Will you sign this paper I have to take back?"
"Can we go to the store tomorrow and buy a horse rope?"
"Will you come wipe me?"

You really think I want to respond to all of those things?!

Each time those dreaded words escape your mouths, you will continue to hear me say the same thing.

"You can't always get what you want."

Myself included! 

Love, 
Mommy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails