Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Speed, Pride and Humility

This morning amidst the crazy morning routine of breakfast, practicing, teeth brushing, forgotten homework and hair-dos, Luke and Megan were chattering away.

(Have I ever told you how much I love the silence from constant chatter when the three older kids walk out the door at 8:21am?)

Whilst clattering away at the kitchen sink, I was half listening to Luke ramble on about him being one of the fastest runners in his class.  I told him that in 5th and 6th grade I was the FIFTH fastest runner in my class EVERY time.  (First four fastest could be on the school running team.)  Luke kind of ignored me amidst his continual chatter, but then the next thing I said caught his attention.

"Yesterday while running with Brittney and Lori, Lori said, "Race you to the end (where we turn around)."
(And race I did.)
"I ran faster than I had in a long time."
Luke was quite proud when I concluded with, "I won."

"Well how fast did you run?" questioned Luke

To which I replied, "What do you mean 'how fast'?" "I beat them.  But how do I measure it?  If you mean am I faster than lightning speed, no.  But I ran fast." I concluded childishly defensively.


And that was all Luke and I needed for a friendly competition.
(Have I ever told you I am slightly competitive?)

So leaving the bagels and juice on the counter, and me abandoning the dishes in the sink, and Drew and Joshua whining about why everyone was exiting out the door, Luke and I were off to race.  Megan tagged along and was giving non-stop advice about the distance, location and race rules.
(Have I mentioned my kids talk pretty much constantly?)

And with Luke's "On your mark, get set, GO." Off we went racing down the cul-de-sac, me slightly trailing Luke at the beginning and then I was off, reaching the tree marker end, well before Luke.

"Wow, you're fast" Luke humbly acknowledged as the race concluded.
And then I challenged Megan to a race. (I barely came in ahead of Megan, but for the sake of good mothering, I'll recede to saying it was a slight tie.)

Back to the kitchen we returned, me to the dishes and the kids to their breakfast.

In between a swallow of juice and a bite of bagel, I heard Luke quietly say,

"I didn't think you'd be so fast.  You're older than me."

And that was this morning's impromptu lesson on cockiness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails