Friday, November 12, 2010

In My Humble Opinion

Recently at a party, a friend of mine quoted an oft-said cliche.  It was directed at me and as everybody (including myself) laughed I turned to her and said, "Just so you know, I disagree with that."  In a friendly banter she quipped "Oh and that is unusual."  Of course everybody that knew me well laughed.

In addition to that, a friend that I really enjoy (who I recently reconnected with after not interacting since we were teenagers) said to me, "When we were teenagers, I didn't know you had opinions." (Adulthood has brought out the opinionated side of me.)

Even though it may come as a surprise to some of you, lately I feel like I've kept my mouth shut so much I feel like I'm going to explode.
So to prevent a spontaneous combustion around here.
Here goes-
Consider yourselves all warned.

I find it very hard to tolerate, "I don't have time for..." or "I can't afford...."  It's all about our choices.  I'd much rather hear "I don't choose to take the time for..." or "I don't choose to spend the money on..."  For the most part, we have the ability to choose how we spend each.
(Don't even get me started on people I know who don't pay their bills, yet own nicer things than me....)

Why do some people insist upon being so loud and center-of-attentionish that it causes others to cringe for their embarrassment?  My husband recently sat with me in a meeting I typically attend alone.  After the first five minutes, Mike turned to me and said, "I am already worn out."  Do some people not know when or HOW to be quiet?

Why are mothers and wives so concerned about about 'getting out of the house'?  I have five children. I have a husband.  Though I LOVE a break every once in a while from the routines of life, and certainly mothers do need some time away from their children, why don't more women enjoy being with their husbands on a regular basis instead of girlfriends?  (Maybe I have just found myself on too many mass email lists of women inviting me to do too many other things with my time.  Don't they want to be home with their husbands?) I look forward to Mike coming home from work EVERY SINGLE DAY.    If we are both at home in the evenings after kids are in bed, we are together nearly 99% of that time.  He is the number one person I choose to spend my time with.

I think we overuse the terms 'being Christian' and 'taking the higher road'.  Really-what do those terms really mean?   I DO NOT by any stretch of the imagination think it means participating, endorsing or excusing unhealthy, inappropriate or unkind behaviors.  Sometimes, it is better to just stay away from damaging situations.

Ok-I really need to quit before I get myself in trouble.
But just one last thing:

Though I consider myself a nice person.  Maybe I'm not a NICE person.  The people that always have sweet, soft spoken voices, a big smile plastered on their faces and anytime you see them they have a big cheery wave of their hand for you despite carrying children, grocery bags, etc. make me CRAZY.  Just for once, please show the world you are HUMAN and your life isn't as perfect as you're hoping people think it is.

And then for those people that think the cheery person's life actually is perfect and admirable and are heard to say "Oh-I-wish-I-could-be-like-them"--do you really?!?
Not me. No way.

Sure, maybe I have less friends than 'them.'
But I'm perfectly ok with that.
I am ME!
And what you see is pretty much, what you get!

Have a good weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails