Monday, March 28, 2011

Women, Bad Food and a New Commitment

I happened to thoroughly enjoy the LDS Young Women broadcast on Saturday night with Megan.  Her first one!!  Though we had a slight hic-cup in our evening plans, and showed up eight minutes late-it turned out to be a very enjoyable evening.

A few things I noticed:

I am grateful Megan has inherited my 'hate to be late' attitude. I am RARELY late for anything.  Knowing we were going to be late, but knowing it was out of either of our control, I bit my tongue and didn't say a thing.  It thrilled me as we walked/ran into the Stake Center, and Megan said, "I really hate being late to things."

When I looked over at Megan at one point in the broadcast, I couldn't help but ask, "When exactly did you get to be old enough to come to one of these broadcasts!?!"

Sometimes I like to talk at the wrong times.  Even my 12 year old daughter had to say, "Mom, quit talking to me during this."

The restaurant I loved all through high school and college, that I probably  haven't eaten at for 5+ years, has gone down hill.  (Either that, or my taste buds have seriously improved.)  But, it was Megan's restaurant choice tonight.  I kept quiet and let her form her own opinion of the food, but the fact she brought home all but one bite of her main dish and gave it to Mike, says something!

I have a deep testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and was thrilled to share the experience with Megan tonight.  I was delighted at dinner when Megan initiated the discussion, asking me, "What did you think of the broadcast?"  I laughed when she later commented, "I knew you would cry during it."

As a couple hundred young women chorus sang the closing song, the last verse really touched me.

"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
-I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!
I couldn't help but think if every single person within earshot of those words tonight, committed to them, it could quite possibly change the world.

It gave me a chance to spiritually recharge.  This last week was a crazy week. Mike's work plans have drastically changed.  I have a new responsibility with The Power of Moms, I'm trying to settle into.   There are finances without a paycheck to juggle.  I had a cranky, sick, almost two year old.  There is a book chapter to edit.  PTA (I'm seriously counting down the days) meetings and emails.  Not to mention the minutiae of day to day life that fills up every waking hour.   During the conference, I felt the love and influence of the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and felt a desire to renew my dedication and commitment to doing more of what I should be doing.

I love having a daughter. Not a day goes by that I don't intentionally think what or how I can do better in my relationship with her.  Some days I fall short, other days are better.  I loved Saturday night as Megan was going to bed, she said to Mike and me, "You are really fun to talk to." Today was one of the better days.

Of all the things discussed during the ninety minute meeting, the call to be more kind to others, resonated with me the most.  Many mornings when my kids leave for school, I play primary songs on the piano as they get ready.  Purposefully, I play 'I Want to be Kind to Everyone' more than once. It is a short, simple song:

I want to be kind to everyone, for that is right you see.  
So I say to myself, remember this.  Kindness begins with me.

My thinking is that the tune and/or words will get stuck in their head during the day and as a result they'll be more kind to others.   Forget just my kids internalizing the message of kindness, I need to too.  I am committed to being more kind.  (Why oh why is it so hard sometimes?!?)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails