Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Improvement, Hope and Eventually Perfection

I am not one to typically watch videos online, especially on Facebook statuses and blogs. But after having a few pretty crappy days in a row, I saw this video on the umpteenth friend's Facebook status this morning and finally decided to watch it. Oh boy was it timely. And I mean timely.

(Except for the first part I really do disagree with. I don't necessarily think the girl hysterical across the aisle was because she wasn't prepared to meet her maker. Perhaps she has severe fears of flying and all of her fears culminated during the downward spiral of an airplane! She may not be a widowed man who has lived a full life ready to meet his maker, but a young mother who was terrified at the thought of leaving five children!)

I digress.
Back to the timely issue of the video.
Watch it if you want, or just take the few second tidbit from it that I did.

"Be patient with yourself. Perfection comes not in this life but in the next life. Don't demand things that are unreasonable but demand of yourself improvement. As you let the Lord allow you through it. He will make the difference." (Elder Russel M. Nelson)

And now for the application to my own life:

"Be patient with yourself and recognize that some days you'll be a pretty mediocre mother. Quit thinking of the quintessential mother who speaks kindly and softly 100% of the time and is never inpatient or frustrated. She doesn't exist. (Okay-maybe she really does, but if you know her-don't tell me about her.) Don't expect to be the perfect mother this week, this month or even this year. One day your kids will be perfect, and it will make motherhood so much easier. Don't demand things of yourself that are unreasonable. Don't plop into bed and announce to your husband that you will never raise your voice again at your children, you probably will. Just demand of yourself a little improvement--suggest instead that maybe tomorrow you'll only yell 8 times instead of 10. Pray. Pray. Pray. Why do I too often think Mike and I are in this alone?"

No joke-while typing this short post, I was interrupted one time to wipe a bum, one time to change a poopy diaper, one time to referee an escalating argument over a Thomas the Train track, one time to unhook a Hot Wheels track, and about 7 times to tell one brother to quit screaming at the other brother. It's no wonder I've been so !#$@ ornery lately.

Onward, ever onward.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails