Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Casting a Vote

Not only did I do my civic duty and vote in the 2012 General Election, I spent 14 1/2 hours sitting in a chair as a Poll Worker. As I watched citizens come and go to vote, I was reminded of a time as a young child going with my dad to vote. I was young, and I'm pretty sure it was the 1979 election and I'm assuming I accompanied my dad to cast his vote for Margaret Thatcher. (I'm totally guessing who he voted for.)

Today as I thought back to that memory, I couldn't help but think what a unique opportunity and memory that is: accompanying my dad to vote in one country in 1979, and then 33 years later, assisting voters in another country across the world.

Several times as I watched people come and go from the voting machines I had to blink away tears as I felt blessed to live in a free country. Regardless of political parties, election outcomes, and candidate platforms, I believe America is a blessed land and I'm proud to be an American.

And for the record--being a Poll Worker was one of my favorite things ever! I loved every second of it. I'm thankful for being able to have spent a long day doing it. Hooray for my mother for bringing me delicious food, Mike's mother for watching my two little boys, children who held down the fort, and a supportive husband for filling in all the gaps in the day. (And who just happened to be the most handsome voter I checked in today.)

God bless the USA.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails