Monday, July 8, 2013

My Multiple Personality

I've found myself in several situations lately that make me question my true personality style. Do I tend to be  assertive and domineering? Or more passive and compliant? Am I rational and calm or more anxious and uneasy? Or heaven forbid am I all of the above?!

A couple of weeks ago while standing in a line, 2 people cut in front of me. I didn't hesitate to question the situation with the line cutters or the nearby worker who was allowing the cutting. I know it was one of those proud parent moments for my dad who was standing by my side. (He would have done the same thing.)

While at a car dealership the other day with Mike, he was 'negotiating' car prices. I wanted to crawl under the table when the car salesman, then the sales manager, THEN the owner came to deal with Mike and his "I want to pay this amount ($_____) and no higher." Mike's assertiveness was in full bloom. I was wishing I could disappear and was willing to give them just about any amount of money in order to expedite our exit.

Upon arriving at a family camp-out the other day, pretty much before even greeting my father-in-law, I spewed forth my opinion and a few complaints about the situation. I tried so hard as I was walking into the camp to talk myself out of saying anything, but I just couldn't! My opinion was boiling up inside of me and I had to release it. I did however make up for the sharing of my opinion by nothing but pleasantness coming out of my mouth for the 18 hours that followed.

While hiking with my sister-in-law, I was trying my best not to panic while she was leading us off the trail and down the side of a mountain. With thunder rumbling overhead, I kept following her lead, despite being convinced we would end up on the 10 o'clock news that night. All the while she kept forging forward without seeming to have a care in the world.

Mike and our neighbor were discussing the dangers of trampolines the other day. Me? I didn't share any of their opinions, worries or concerns. Let the children jump away.

But...

My children taking too long in the pet shop the other day? I had myself convinced someone was turning them into dog slaves in the backroom! Or if one of my children tells a lie, I am convinced they have a criminal future ahead of them and I am imaging them living a life behind prison bars. All because they told me no, it wasn't them that ate the Twix from my chocolate stash, even though their breath clearly smells like a mix of caramel and chocolate. (Mike calls my worries and fears "irrational", I prefer to call myself a creative worrier.)

At church on Sunday, I went up to the front to where Megan was playing prelude music on the organ to ask her if she could do without her glasses I left sitting on the kitchen table. While there, I noticed we were not going to be singing ANY patriotic songs on the weekend following the 4TH OF JULY!!! Sometimes, I just can't help but blurt out my thoughts... I promptly turned to the bishopric member (church congregation leader) sitting nearby and told him we should be singing a PATRIOTIC song on July 6th! I take 100% of the credit that our closing hymn was 'The Star Spangled Banner'.

Complete side note here--I was somewhat proud of myself when after aforementioned church meeting, the Bishop came up to me and said, "I want you to know I noticed you sang all three verses of The Star Spangled Banner today without looking at the hymn book once. I was very impressed and want you to know I noticed." I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to notice, I just happen to know all the verses to that hymn, as I do many others. What I do expect though, is no one to mess with my patriotism and/or love of singing church hymns. We should sing patriotic songs during patriotic holidays and Christmas songs during Christmas time and so on and so forth. Don't get me started...

Despite all the times I can give someone my opinion, or speak my mind, I can't seem to be able to tell one of our employees who I have only interacted with 5 times total that MY NAME IS TiffANY not Tiff. It makes me crazy every time he greets me with "Hey Tiff!" Yet I can't bring myself to say anything but "Hi" back. I'm not sure whether that is an improvement or a setback from the days of my dating years when a blind date showed up on my doorstep and said, "Hi, you must be Tiff" and I responded, "It's Tiffany to you."

Sidenote--I have NO ISSUE at all if people I know well call me Tiff.  However, an employee I've met 4 times and a blind date do not fit that bill.

Those are just a few examples of a possible multiple personality diagnosis.
You never know what you're going to get with me.
Aren't you glad you know me?

On second thought, maybe you shouldn't answer that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails