Thursday, July 16, 2015

My Favorite Day of the Year

I love Independence Day! It's long been my favorite holiday, but I found myself loving it even more this year. Perhaps it is because in the 365 days since the last one, I've visited Washington DC twice, and NYC once--places that can't help but make one feel patriotic and proud to be an American!

As I stood for the passing flag at the local parade, I thought of the early immigrants to Ellis Island, and of course this country's great fore-fathers. What a wonderful nation!!


Our morning was a little chaotic, but I gathered what children I could for our annual pledge and national anthem singing. I'm quite certain the older two (and Mike) were not disappointed to have missed it.

I suggested not going to the local parade this year, but that didn't go over well with most, not all, family members. Especially Luke: "What?! The first time I am in the parade and you aren't going to go?!"

We attended the parade.

(Luke was most excited to throw candy at his siblings. That's what he's doing in the photo. Throwing candy. Not waving.)

 (Not sure where Megan was during the photo.)

After the parade we returned home to get ready for my favorite party of the year! Love, LOVE, LOVE our July 4th Water Baseball BBQ tradition!

Usually we have a plethora of photographers. We didn't this year. No action shots of sliding into home-base, or water squirted in faces. But that makes me happy! We were instead, all engaged in the game! (I thought to grab my camera towards the very end to at least secure a few still memories!)






 By the end of the day, the slide needed to dry out--but the children still had hours of fun on it late into the evening!



My country tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing.
Land where my fathers died!
Land of the Pilgrim's pride!
From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails