Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Giving Up

I blame this all on a commitment a few weeks ago to allow more spontaneity in my mothering...

When we drove past a local park yesterday, Joshua as usual sighed, "I hope I can play at that park one day."  With a quick glance at the clock, I recalled my earlier spontaneity commitment and  I turned into the park.  I smiled as I could 'hear' shocked smiles and 'yeses' in the seats behind me. 

I sat in the car listening to Drew fight about being left in his car seat, and chatted on and off with Megan as she went back and forth from being young enough to play on a park toy to being too old to play on a park toy.

And in my defense before the real story begins.  I gave fair warning at ten minutes, five minutes and two minutes that play time was winding down...

Into the car returned Megan.  Followed by Luke.  Joshua straggled slowly behind.  And then came the first call, then the second, all the while Ellie went into her 'fifth amendment' mode.  (If you know Ellie, you can picture the scene well.) 

Ellie stood and stared, ignoring my kind pleas to get in the car.

(Wanting to capture stubborn moments more frequently on camera, to have frequent evidence to blame Mike for 'the gene' he passed down to Ellie, I got out my camera.)

My kind pleas, began to get an unkind tone to them:

My kind pleas, really weren't kind at all:


By now the four buckled up children were getting inpatient too.  I blame what happens next on another commitment I made a few weeks ago, that in addition to more spontaneity, I would try my hardest to say 'yes' more than 'no'. .

Luke, ever-thinking-outside-of-the-box-Luke, has a suggestion. And Luke, the always-prepared-cub-scout-Luke, announced as he gets out of the car,

 "I'll go rope her." 
And then the crying got louder, and the chasing proceeded.  Most non-stubborn people would simply walk to the car, right?  Well Ellie, bless her heart, does not fit in that category and so the chasing continued and alas, the rope throw successful. 


And then it was over.
It was a good thing we were the only ones at the park as the kind pleas were long forgotten as I walked towards my children, telling Luke to remove the rope and go buckle up and with an added touch to the bum, firmly told Ellie to GET!IN!THE!CAR!NOW!

And all that because I made a commitment to do and be better.

Guess I'll keep to my rigid schedules and say no...
Spontaneity and saying yes more, doesn't work so well for us.

16 comments:

  1. I can not believe you have Luke roping Ellie on camera. That is priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you have that on record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Ellie's sandals!
    Teague is my stubborn one.It is really hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the pictures of Luke roping Ellie....that is SO funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jared just came to find out why I am laughing out loud by myself in front of the computer. Why do we get pleasure in knowing that others suffer too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for making my crazy days seem a little more normal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO TRUE! Whenever I actually plan something out thinking I'm going to be such a great mom, I get that. What the heck? We might as well stay home. Atleast most of your kids enjoyed it and were good. That says something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffany, this is so hilarious!! I love that Luke lassoed your daughter Ellie. I think it's just great, and in fact think we all should carry around ropes. It gets things done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SO funny!! I am laughing out loud :) LOVE the pictures of your son 'roping' your daughter - priceless!!

    I'm glad to know i'm not the only one who tries to do fun spontaneous things that sometimes backfire :) I think I might have to start carrying around a rope of my own for my 5 year old :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am peein my paints! Lol..Holy crap...you have amazing (in a fabulous way) children!! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The funniest story and it will be remembered for years!! Love that you have pictures of it. Definitely wedding picture material for both!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! That is the best story ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post reminded me of a day years ago when I took my little kids to the "new" Hardees in Centerville. There was one of those big pits with the colored balls in it and my kids enthusiastically went in to play. I couldn't get them out. I was getting very frustrated and mad as they were usually pretty obedient. When they finally came out, we left the restaurant, I stopped by the counter and said to the employees, "I'll be back when those
    balls are gone!" I don't think I ever went back. For some reason I don't think playplaces (McDonalds)and food go together. I once saw one of my grandchildren pick up a randon french fry from off of McDonalds playplace floor, and before I could stop him he put it in his mouth.

    I wish I had learned some roping tricks, they would've come in handy many times in my earlier mothering years. They should have offered a mini-class in enrichment night years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this wins as the best post ever! Alan will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails