Although the organ inside the Tabernacle is by far the most historic of the three organs, I kept my opinion to myself about which organ Megan should choose. Megan chose the Conference Center organ. When I asked her why she was choosing that one she replied, "I see it on television for General Conference, I've been in the Conference Center for conference a few times and I think it would be really cool. I've never even heard the Tabernacle one played."
As Mike and I watched her play her hymn that Wednesday night, we were absolutely thrilled she chose that organ to play on. She will always remember it. I think every time she watches a General Conference broadcast and sees a close up of the organ, she will remember fondly her unique opportunity. I was touched by the spirit as I listened to some workshop participants play various familiar hymns. Of course I sang along despite Mike next to me saying, "You really should stop singing." Nobody could hear (except him), and I really didn't care that his fine ear for music had to tolerate my off-key singing.
Of course when Megan played, I did not sing along. I was disappointed I forgot the video camera, and I could not figure out the lighting on my camera's video option in such short notice. A little disappointing that we can't exactly see it is Megan. But I promise it is.
The dress she was wearing was very long, and just before she played the last verse the instructor told her to adjust her dress to make the pedals easier. Thus the laughter and clapping at the end of the video. I'm sad I didn't get the last verse, with the loud "whatever musical term they use" holding of the last note. It was loud, it was strong, and it capped off perfectly a unique and awesome opportunity.


How awesome for Megan!!! She is growing up so beautifully in every way. Caitlin and I were commenting about that after we saw you last night.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a great opportunity. I always think about Julie Haltom when I hear of people playing the organ. I went and saw her do a concert there. Now I can go and see Megan one day. What a great talent!
ReplyDeleteFantastic Megan! Now we will think of you everytime we hear that organ!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! What a great memory!
ReplyDeleteThat is so awesome that she got to do that! Um, I didn't realize before how Megan loves the Organ so much - I did tell you Paul's grandpa used to be the tabernacle organist didn't I? Maybe they should meet! We should get together soon!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I follow your blog, this was priceless. Alan had tears as he thought of her talent. What I want to know is, was Drew pleased with her choice of hymn? I can see them together in the years to come, Megan playing and Drew conducting. :o)
ReplyDeleteHow cool! What an awesome experience!! There are very few people who have such a fantastic opportunity.
ReplyDelete