Thursday, March 12, 2009

Elite Members of Society or Plain and Simple Rednecks?

This picture was taken at 8:15am on a Saturday morning. The kids (Ellie, Jacob, Luke and Joshua) were dressed, ready to begin their "hunting for deer" outside "in the mountains."

Now, my issue with all of this isn't the early hour, or even the imaginary activity of shooting animals. I don't even have a problem that Jacob and Ellie are wearing their pajamas under the overalls. You want to know what my issue is?

The fact that of all the redneck clothing you see in the picture, FOUR pair of overalls (3 camouflage), 3 camouflage hats, a raccoon hat, cowboy boots, camouflage shirt, camouflage backpack... I DON'T BELIEVE I PURCHASED ANY OF THOSE ITEMS!!

See the cute princess pajama top under the overalls, or the cute pink toed socks-now those I will take credit for.

But let me tell you my real issue.

My father.

He is frequently telling me that in England, hunting is considered a very upper-class sport, typically reserved for the wealthy and more elite members of society-especially Royalty.

Now does he say this to make me feel better about what my son is turning my family into, or does he say it to justify the fact that he and my mother purchased several of the items in the above photo?! And really, no matter how he tries to sugar coat it, "hunters" here in our society, are not usually considered the "elite members of society" now are they?

And yes, this is my sweet little 23 month old dressed completely in camouflage, shooting a cap gun and making the appropriate sound effects. (Note the size 5T coat, insisted upon by big brother, because one "couldn't play" without full camouflage clothing.)


I'll have you know, Joshua's big brother, my dear Luke, was not even allowed to play with toy guns at that age, let alone own anything resembling redneck clothing!

What have the last few years turned my family into?

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, that "stuff" has crept into our house too ~~ although I am the culprit for some of it. I think right now, three of our four kids' coats are camo! You may be a redneck . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TREASURES!(I can't believe I'm going to tell you this but...) there will come a day when your Dad won't be around to buy those kinds of things for your boy...(ok so as they get older it might be real instead of the cap gun sort) But Tiffany then they will think that they had that connection with their grandpa and treasure those moments...we hope. Any way...sorry, but even if they do come from your Dad--ENJOY IT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: why does a redneck guy go to a family reunion?

    Answer: to meet girls!!

    That's the only redneck joke I know. My BIL has a brother that's a real life redneck, and my sister who is very talented at impersonations can imitate him quite well. Someday you'll have to meet her, like I told Bonnie once, "if you like me you'll like her more!"

    I agree with your dad about the royalty stuff (I used to be quite the royal watcher, until about 1997). Maybe it's time to bring out the accent and teach your children a few phrases whilst they are shooting, camouflaging, and rednecking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad my son could be part of this event. Really I think it is up to you to make hunting in America what it is in England!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS NOT CHRIS, THIS IS YOUR FATHER! Would you prefer .410 or 28 guage for Luke's first shotgun?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Tiffany - where do I begin? I'll just say, I love your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Maybe your next birthday gift will be Jeff Foxworthy's CD "You might be a redneck if . . ." It's very funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails