Friday, August 28, 2009

Finders Keepers

Earlier in the week, I threw away the 'princess stamp' that met Mike's underwear somewhere during the spin cycle. Why not my underwear I wonder, but no, had to be his!?

(Laundry Disclaimer: Underwear in our house get washed alone, but somehow Ellie's white shorts accidentally got put in the batch too. Thus pink splotches . . .)

The next day, I removed the debit card from the dryer. It got me thinking, what really goes in the washing machine and dryer?


I love laundry.
I love the sorting.
I love the switching.
I love the folding.
I don't really like the putting away.

I do not like and I DO NOT check pockets.

So, if you don't want your temple recommend, or your toys, or your $20 bill birthday money, or your pocket-knife, or your receipts, or some important phone number washed, THEN REMOVE THEM FROM YOUR POCKETS.

Note to Cabelas-I am very impressed with your pocketknife/flashlight combo. It can be washed numerous times and still work. Just a thought, maybe I could earn some extra spending money and advertise for you?

Note to Husband-How in the world are you ever supposed to spontaneously show up with flowers or chocolate for the Dear Wife, when your only access to any money is the debit card that has been sitting in my "finders keepers basket" for almost a week?

Does everyone else check pockets or am I just lazy?

15 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call you lazy for any reason but I do check pockets. I have had too many loads ruined. However, if I find money I call it my paycheck! No finder keepers on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't check pockets. Of course I do my loads separate from the boys, so if their crap ruins their clothes, it's their loss. The worse so far for me has been a red crayon and a couple pieces of taffy. The taffy was Ryan's, not the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't check pockets either. We always end up with a counter full of crap from Teague's pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't check pockets. I'm wondering if I better get in the habit, though, before my kids get much bigger. I enjoy the laundry, too. I think it's my favorite "chore".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't check pockets. Unfortunate when you wash an MP3 player. Especially when it belongs to the neighbor kid. The rule at our house is if it's money and it's in the washer...it Mom's!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I didn't teach you better. I sometimes check but more often than not I don't. So when looking for my debit card today I found it at the bottom of the laundry basket. I at least didn't wash it again this week!! Did you know American money holds up to washing better than English money! Been there and done that and looked for serial numbers in the outside drain so I could get my money back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Checking pockets is against my religion. The only pre-wash work I do is Spray-N-Wash. And they're lucky to get that. Have only had one ruined load. But cleaning up after a Pull-Up in the washer will make me look twice before throwing in a handful of kids clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My laundry rule is everyone is responsible for checking thier own pockets of what ever they throw in the laundry. It has come back to bite me at times, but I stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome. I NEVER check pockets. Thankfully my husband is pretty good about it. I find a lot of golf pencils in the laundry. So far my kids aren't quite to that stage, so I might need to get in the habit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't check pockets. We've had a few mishaps over the years....pocket knives seem to come out fine, chapstick is okay if the lid stays on (but I wouldn't try it out just to check if it's true), I was once responsible for changing my white pants into pink (but I was a teenager back then), my biggest gripe is when tissues or papers are left in pockets (that's a big mess), several years ago a ward clerk gave Mike a reimbursment check which ended up in the wash and didn't survive, I also have the finders keepers on the money rule, I figure it's my meager pay for a job well done. Every once in a while it turns out to be pretty profitable. I have a question: if money is washed can we still use it? Wouldn't it be considered "laundered" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't check pockets either...maybe because I'm not the one generally doing the laundry. My kids do the laundry (on saturday) and they hate it....but then it's one mom job that I don't have to do.

    Yes we have had loads ruined, but not too bad. The funny thing is, it's usually from the pen that was in Cameron's pocket...

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way on checking the pockets...that seems to be what everyone says. I think that it is a huge pain, the only time anything gets taken out by me is if it is bulging or I can hear it, (usually fruit snck wrappers, they make alot of noise) - money is always my favorite to find, and for sure it is mine, (unless it is birthday money, then I feel bad). I also enjoy laundry - it is not a bad job to have, but the putting away is also my downfall....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate laundry and rarely do I check pockets! I either throw the findings away - or keep them for myself, depending what I find!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I DO NOT check pockets. And so far . . . not too much damage. We do have the cleanest rocks in the neighborhood though! :) I HATE laundry. You do mine, and I'll put yours away . . . K?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not a pocket-checker either!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails