Two year-old Joshua misses Ellie terribly while she is gone for 3 hours to Kindergarten. He asks numerous times throughout the morning,"When Elrie be home?"
Joshua was a little misplaced this morning, more so than usual. Joshua was unsettled with every activity. The Legos didn't hold his interest long, the train track he requested be set up, and I patiently obliged (in a very creative track formation I might add), was destructed within minutes. The requests were never ending.
"Want watch home videos",
"Want some pretzels",
"Can I have a drink in my Buzz cup?"
"Will you read me this book?"
"Can I have piece of candy?"
"When Dewie wake up?"
"Want some pretzels",
"Can I have a drink in my Buzz cup?"
"Will you read me this book?"
"Can I have piece of candy?"
"When Dewie wake up?"
This morning, tears were near when the answer to his never ending"When Elrie be home?" question was,
"Not for a long time, she's going to her friend's house after school and then to dance."
To make matters worse, I was on and off of the phone for most of the morning. After a frustrating morning, Joshua appeared by my side, fingers in his mouth and whined, "Want holdies." Who can say no to that?To the couch we went. I picked up my Sunday School manual to begin multi-tasking, whilst holding him, but I could tell his eyes were getting heavy, and in a selfish moment, I realized if I got him to sleep, I would have a little time
ALL.TO.MYSELF.
While singing his ever favorite "kittens" song (Favorite Things from The Sound of Music), I was struck with the realization that I couldn't remember the last time Joshua let me hold him and sing to him.
In that moment I recalled my favorite newspaper column, written by my favorite columnist, Ann Cannon. It is a must-read, 'Precious moments slip by.'
I savored the moment.
As I laid my sleeping toddler on the couch, I heard an awakened baby in the crib and immediately felt a twinge of disappointment, knowing I wouldn't have any quiet time to myself. Yet, as I climbed the stairs to retrieve the fussing baby, I paused outside the bedroom door. I reflected on what I was moments away from seeing; the fussing sound would soon turn into a wide smile from ear to ear to greet me...
And that won't happen forever. One day, there will be a last time for that too.
After all, five, eight and eleven year olds aren't that anxious to be held. Nor do they have a big grin for me when they get out of bed!
Again I am reminded:
"Enjoy the little things in life. For one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."
AMEN
ReplyDeleteThat thought is on the wall in my kitchen. Lizzie has asked me to rock her at night before she goes to bed. I too have been taken back a few years and have made myself enjoy the moments. Thank you for another beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteI always feel badly when you have to rewrite something cause it got lost along the way. Is the second one as good as the first, or do you just forget about it and hope it is somewhere good in hyberspace!
ReplyDelete"Holdies" come and go quickly that when you become older and your children are grown you wish you could go back if only for a moment in time for one more "Holdies" or one more "cugul"! I guess that is why grandchildren are so great. Sometimes a "nana's" lap is almost as good as mommie's lap. I shall be devasted when Ellie no longer snuggles on my lap and lets me hold her as I once held you! Hold tight, cuddle longer and prayer for grandkids that love you!
Why wouldn't it let me sign mom?
ReplyDeleteThis brought a few tears.
ReplyDeleteHow true!
ReplyDeleteThank you. That was very sweet. I needed that :)
ReplyDeleteI feel the time fleeing quickly from me every day. How I wish I could stop time, during certain instances. I love that picture of you holding your baby too. Thanks for sharing, and I would love to take family pictures for you anytime.
ReplyDelete