When my brother Casey was a toddler, and I was about ten years old, I took Casey with me to the 'local shops.' As was usually the tradition, we made a visit to the 'Sweet Shop' to pick up some candy. As it was done, when I was a child, one carefully selected the penny candies, placed them in the bag, and then paid for them.
Tiffany and Casey, August 1985
While I was paying for our sweet selection, Casey reached down, picked up a candy and promptly put it in his mouth. I was devastated; my brother just stole a piece of candy! I didn't know what to do. I quickly turned to the shopkeeper, and explained that my brother had eaten a piece of candy we hadn't yet paid for. The shopkeeper smiled. It helped we were regulars. And it probably helped that Casey was just two and a half years old... The friendly shopkeeper smiled at Casey, and waved us on our way. He didn't charge me the penny.
As we left the store, I was deeply disturbed by my brother's act. As I grasped Casey's hand, and we began the walk home, I attempted to explain to Casey what a naughty thing he had done. I can remember distinctly the tears coming down my face as I explained to Casey that people who steal things go to jail and that he must never, ever steal things. This one-sided conversation continued for the duration of the walk. It ended at our garden gate with a final, "Casey, you must never steal."
I didn't even tell my parents of Casey's transgression. I was too upset and worried about him. I didn't want anyone else to know what might lie ahead for Casey's future.
My brother Casey, never ended up as a criminal in prison as I imagined him that Saturday afternoon. He is currently a law student at BYU. He has the desire to defend the law, not break it.
I like to think my ten year old wisdom, had a lasting effect on him.
I hope the same for Megan's words of wisdom to Drew, last Saturday morning. I will give her some of the credit when Drew will be able to eat food from a bowl without dumping out the contents.
What a blessing big sisters are.



That is a great story. I like the picture of your house in England. It makes me think of... England :-)
ReplyDeleteI love that picture of you also!! What cute lessons. I stole a pack of gum from the store when I was about 6 years old. My mother made me take the gum back, give it to a manager, pay him a quarter of my own money. I also had to make a poster for my room about not stealing. Needless to say, I was humiliated and haven't stolen since.
ReplyDeleteI agree. Big sisters are the best!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree....I am so glad by boys are lucky enough to have a big sister!!
ReplyDeleteYou need to write a book ... oh wait, you are!
ReplyDeleteWhat Casey didn't tell you when he read this post was that he continued to steal other kids toys in pre-school for Show and Tell. He did learn his lesson eventually :).
ReplyDelete