I loved the set-up of the camp.
I loved that teenagers/young adults ran the camp.
I loved the beautiful canyon we were in.
I loved seeing the diversity of the boys in our group.
I loved the other leaders I was chaperoning with.
I loved the smile on Luke's face when he would search me out, and then find me.
And....
(drum roll please)

I loved the fact that the BSA program exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep. Indeed, I said that.
Me: one of the biggest complainers and BSA dislikers of all, was so mightily impressed with the goodness of it all. And as I was trying to explain all of my thoughts to Mike that night, he put the words perfectly in my mouth:
How could one not want their child to be a part of that?!?
"Good wholesome fun."
However, don't become too alarmed. I still have a lot of dislike with the red tape and bureaucracy of the BSA program, not to mention the LDS church's involvement.....
But for now, I'll just revel in the fact that this week, I am proud to be associated with the BSA!!


Isaac just finished his week long day camp... That's right the boys in Kansas City go Monday-Thursday. Each night he came home muddy with a smile on his face. There's nothing better then "good wholesome fun"
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you went to camp. I wished I had gone with Jeremiah. I too discovered the joys of Cub Scouts going to camp with my younger boys. I love taking pictures and spending the whole day with them. I do have to tell you that I don't do the torture hike and I am very wary of snakes....yes, I have seen them up there! I honestly would consider being a leader even though my boys are no longer 'cubbies'...if no one else will go (haha)
ReplyDeleteYou were right I needed to read this!!!! Holy cow, I guess I am going to have to go to camp one of these days to gain some kind of appreciation. I knew the wearing of the mother's pin wasn't just a joke!
ReplyDeleteJust talk to Tiffany and Lance and they will convert you. He is a big wig and my garage was the home to Tyler's eagle project. I am so glad you had fun.
ReplyDeleteOh Tiffany! I just had the same conversion story! I was a chaprone at day camp and was dreading it. It is Jackson's 1st year. I echo all your comments.
ReplyDeleteI loved it! Well, except for all the ticks. We are now raising 5 tadpoles in our fish tank thanks to day camp.
I am so glad we can keep in touch through our blogs. I didn't catch that you have 5 kids!!! You have a beautiful family. It's so fun to see them. I think we need to have a POM reunion every year. I left ready to conquer the world!
I am adding you to my blog reader!!
Valerie
We just finished our day camp and I too was really impressed with the skills that they were teaching my young one. I'm joining in your praises!
ReplyDelete