Last week Mike and Megan returned home from a meeting about Young Women's Girls Camp. One of the first things I read on the instructions handout was, "I know our girls will make memories to last a lifetime."
Immediately, upon reading that line, I thought of my own fond memories of Girls Camp at Camp Piuta, and of course they included memories of old, dear friends; Jennifer, Michelle, Tiffany, Emily, Janae,and plenty of others. I remember putting tent stakes together with band-aids, grafitti-ing the cabins/bathrooms (we didn't start this, I promise, it's just 'what one did!'), telling scary stories, and so on. I don't think it was a coincidence that last Monday, the day after I read Megan's instruction paper, I ran into one of my favorite young women leaders; Pam. And we reminisced about the very last night, of my last year at Girls Camp, when we were staying up late, laughing, giggling and having fun. When somehow, a bunk ladder fell and hit Pam on the head. And Jennifer and I had to roam the camp to go and find our Priesthood leader and then to the kitchen to get some ice. Except there was no ice--instead we returned to the cabin with a (cold) pork chop and placed it on Pam's head.

Such fun, fun, memories. And I also love that just yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit with some of these girls I have such fond memories with. What a treat old friends and great memories are!!!
So when Joshua sat on the kitchen bar-stool the other day, having just been told how long Megan would be gone to camp, with a long face whined, "But I will miss her", I assured him she will be having so much fun, we should be happy she's there.
I love my memories of Girls Camp, both the ones as a youth and the couple I went to as a leader (I can't find any photos of me dancing as a lollipop!). Even though I got all teary eyed as Megan's bus pulled out of the church parking lot, I am thrilled she is there.
And I can't wait for one day, twenty years down the road, her daughters making fun of her hair and her clothes in her girls camp pictures!
Have fun Megan!
(PS--I hope the Lord answers Ellie's tender prayer last night, "Bless Megan won't miss us too much and that she will be happy.)
Those are some great pictures!
ReplyDeleteIf I dig deep enough, I think I also have some big hair/big glasses/tie-dye shirts blackmail-worthy photos lying around of myself as well.
Some of my fondest memories of teenager-hood come from girls' camp and the testimonies and friendships it fostered.
Megan and the girls were so fun to watch yesterday as they were discussing all of their plans for girls camp!
Thank you so much for not labeling any of those pictures. Those are classics. I may just have to pull some of mine out :) Great memories!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED girls camp! What a fun time for Megan and all my other activity day girls! I am so happy for them.
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures. I wish I had saved more. I love the big bangs and the shorts with the thermals underneath. I forgot about that awesome fashion statement. We had no idea how cool we were. Ha ha.
ReplyDeleteI love girls camp!!! I saw the picure of the tenth ward girls and didn't even recognize them... I kept looking at one girl trying to figure out who it was (I thought it was a leader) but then I thought, "is that my niece Chelsea?" Did she dye her hair or is it someone else? Please verify for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the e-mail. I wasn't even sure which one was Emily. Sad. Lunch/dinner; whichever one works. ASAP!!!
ReplyDelete