For years my BFF and I have had a re-occurring conversation about homework. Although we have differing opinions on a lot of subjects, we agree 100% on homework. We both think it should be abolished and banned from every school worldwide.
We complain to each other about worksheets, book reports, science fair projects and just about anything else that comes home in our children's backpacks.
So I found it very ironic when I took on an assignment to write an article titled, "Five tips for getting homework done without a fight."
Whhaaattt??
I couldn't bring myself to tell Melanie about my assignment, even though writing the article gave me a little added stress for a couple of weeks. Though typically a big cheerleader of my writing, I figured this one she would outright laugh at.
I really wish I had the nerve to send it to my daughter's second grade teacher, but I don't. (And please, nobody out there forward it to her!) Because really, I don't even think homework should be given to elementary school children AT ALL. Let alone on Fridays and holidays.
I strongly dislike homework. In fact, I'd even bring myself to use the "H" word on this one. I HATE homework--nonetheless it is probably here to stay.
And so I dedicate this article to my dear friend, Melanie.
Five tips for getting homework done without a fight...
(click on the link to read).
PS-If you're a teacher or a parent, please share with me your opinion on homework!

Usually I don't comment, especially when I disagree but this time I must. (Matthew will be upset with me.)
ReplyDeleteTeachers are asked to teach a lot! The curriculum we are required to teach far exceeds the time capacity we have. In addition to this demand, we are constantly being told that students are failing. It is clear that our nation is falling behind in academics. The list goes on and on. HOMEWORK allows for practice that isn't feasible in the classroom. Learning new skills doesn't just happen with being shown or lectured. They have to be practiced again and again. Thus you get worksheets, projects and other activities to do at home.
Teachers don't love homework, but it is really the only way for students to have the adequate practice to really learn ( enough for the skill to be kept from year to year).
I was appaled by your comment that homework doesn't get done on Fridays at your house. I just hope that your kids don't translate that into work doesn't have to be done on Friday's either. Otherwise, they will have angry employers.
Tiff I totally agree! I hate when homework comes home! I really hate it when it is busy work. My 1st grader comes home with it daily. It frustrates me. Over Holidays and weekends infuriates me. I totally agree with all you said. They spend the majority of their day in school only to come home to do a mountain of work at home. When do they get to be kids?
ReplyDeleteYou don't want my opinion. But I like Jen's comments :)
ReplyDeleteA perfect dedication to me. Homework is necessary in some cases, but in most it is just busy work. Elementary school homework should NEVER be given nor done on a Friday or holiday. I agree 110% with you on this whole article!
ReplyDeleteYour mom forwarded the article to and I must admit I did a double take as I saw that you authored an article on the homework which I know is a "hot topic" for you.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jen that some skills need to be exercised and taught at home and schools are not the only educators but I lack to see the connection that just because homework isn't done on in your home that potentially your children may hereafter lack integrity or honesty and not work for a wage because it's Friday.