Saturday, October 25, 2008

"There Ain't No Doubt I Love This Land..."



FINALLY, at the age of 34 and after living in the United States of America for 20 years, I can say, I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN. I am so proud. I truly am. You can count on me being at my local voting center on Tuesday, November 4th, 2008. I know myself well enough to imagine, there will be tears in my eyes, and joy in my heart as I participate for the first time in an election. Though there is so much negativity surrounding the elections, the candidates and the country as a whole. There is no doubt in my mind that we live in a nation that was founded by God. (Doctrine and Covenants 101:80)We are a blessed people, and if we hesitate to go exercise our right to vote, we need to be reminded that we may one day be held accountable for that choice.

Just prior to the 1992 Presidential Elections I was having a so-called “political conversation” with my grandfather who was a great patriot. We were discussing who he was going to vote for and who I would vote for if I had voting rights. As one of the candidates name came up as a possibility I replied (with all my political prowess), “Grandpa, Isn’t that throwing away your vote? There is absolutely no way he is going to win.” My Grandpa’s reply broadened our conversation and taught me a great lesson I will never forget. He said, “Tiffany the Lord will one day hold us accountable for how we support our political leaders. He referred me to Doctrine and Covenants 134:1 which reads:

“We believe that the governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society.”

So as fellow citizens of the United States, let us each make sure and vote. I know that if we are studied, wise and prayerful, we will know who the best candidates are for us individually to vote for.

"... God Bless the USA"

7 comments:

  1. Exciting! When did it happen. What a great conversation with your grandpa. Welcome to the voting population. I was so thrilled when I stood in line the other day for 45 minutes to vote that there were so many people exercising their right. I was glad that there will be more of a say in the elections this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrates, congrates!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! I did not know you were in the process of becoming a citizen.
    Thank you for that post. It reminded me of how important it is to exercise our right and privelage as citizens of the United States of America to vote, whether or not I am particularly happy with the candidates. You inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very inspiring. Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah...you are all citizens now! Not something that at one time I believed could be true. mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. How come I didn't know that?!? How rude!!!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! There used to be a time when I hated to vote, but as I get older, my pride as a US citizen increases and I look forward to having a say in how our country is ran. Congrats on joining the citizens of America!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails