Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss

I've told you before that I much prefer to make special occasions out of random days-than join in on some of the silly holidays our society celebrates.

You know those dates that stand out in your mind forever? That every once in a while on some random date you can remember exactly what you were doing that day years ago?

March 2nd, has for MANY years been 'one of those days.'

I can remember working at Winegars, waiting to hear the news of a cousins birth, eating a bagel at the Union Building at the University of Utah, news stories of Dr. Seuss, birthday parties, and well wishes, Ellie's first ponytail and then my Grandpa Mel's death.

For 4 years now, in honor of all these occasions and memories, on March 2nd, my children wake up to a new Dr Seuss book on the kitchen table. Nothing grand, nothing important. Just something my children anticipate with excitement and something that gives me the opportunity to reflect on memories from over the years.

No, we don't have Green Eggs and Ham for breakfast!!

6 comments:

  1. I have always been a sucker for traditions....this one sounds AWESOME! (btw: we still on for wednesday?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too cute! This is why I love you. (well and the memory of us securing the tent pole with a bandaid . . . hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tradition! I seriously might steal it....if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the biggest reasons I'm glad I'm you're friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some really fun and thoughtful traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this mean you aren't coming for a green dinner on the 17th?

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails