This morning we had tears.Lots of tears.
The "I don't want to go to school today" tears.
As the bus approached the teary eyed child could not face getting on the bus.
Mom, two little boys and the teary eyed child returned home from the bus stop.
What to do?
Not much sympathy from Dad. Mom searching for the underlying reason... Mom knows these tears are not normal...
To make a long story short. (er)
Mom takes teary eyed child to school. Teary-eyed-turned-dry-eyed child asks to be walked to class. Dry eyes turn to tears as the entrance to class was made. Mom tries hard to not cry, and leaves the child in the hall.
Mom waits patiently in line to talk to the teacher while the teacher is helping another teary eyed child in the class, stop crying,
"Hold your breath, count to 5. Your eyes should dry," instructs the teacher.
Mom luckily overhears the advice and follows the instructions. At the same time, Mom prays she will not burst into tears as soon as the teacher talks to her.
Teacher, Mom and Teary-Eyed child discuss 'issues.' No resolution is made.
After hugging almost-dry-eyed child. Mom rushes out of the school as tears freely fall.
Mom is fully crying by the time she returns to the car. At home, Dad doesn't fully understand Mom's tears. Dad is not a mother. He will never understand a mother's tears.
Mom is blessed with the intuition that only mothers get; She's pretty sure she knows the root of the problem.
It is not a problem.
But to a grade-school child it was...
I love the way you told that story. priceless :)
ReplyDeleteMom's know best. And so important to remember that it's a big deal to them. You're a good mom, Tiffany.
ReplyDeleteBrings back memories of a few "first-of-the-school-year" issues I had with a teary eyed child. It lasted for weeks, the school counselor called me, Granma got called to come to the school when they couldn't find me and soon Granma was in tears too, then one day it was fine (until the next fall). I don't know what your teary-eyed-childs issue is, but there was a story on the news when my teary-eyed-child went back to school one year about back-to-school stesses and anxieties. Good luck, your right....nobody knows how a Mom feels but a Mom. Sometimes it's hard, you are a great Mom! Love ya
ReplyDeleteIt's so true that Dad's just don't feel the way that Mom's do about their children. I hope I'm ready for the day when my children enter that outside world of school. I agree that you're a great mom.
ReplyDeleteYou are a kind, gentle and a very intuitive mother.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry we have had the same kind of tears and mornings at our house this year....moms cry and dads just really don't get it (as much as they want to). I hope things get better soon. You really have a way with words, great post.
ReplyDeleteAhh this made me cry and i'm not even a mom yet! How will i ever be strong enough?!? Love it tiffany... You are such a wonderful mom... p.s. if your family doesn't have a family night plan they are having a huge party for little tiffany on monday!
ReplyDeleteBeen there done that...only teacher peeled arms from around my neck and feet from around my waist every day for the first entire term! It is very sad!!! I won't mention which of my children it was...but it was my only daughter.
ReplyDelete