Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fine Sweaters and Fine Mothers

I couldn't help but smile extra big on Sunday during the Sacrament Meeting choir program number in which the senior primary accompanied the choir. Luke was on the front row in his Christmas sweater, grudgingly singing along. And I just knew there was a smile shining down from the other side of the veil. I'm sure Granny is thrilled that the sweater she lovingly knitted is still being worn 18+ years later.

Though this Christmas sweater is less traditional than Christmas sweaters other boys may wear, it has turned into a sentimental, tangible reminder of not only my beloved Granny, but my son's enthusiasm and love for Christmas. I love that he wants to wear it.

Well, even if last Sunday he was a little hesitant to wear it because "Brennan and Chloe made fun of it last week in Primary." And so in my true, honest, mothering way I said,

"Tell them to shut up."

Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the laugh. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally tell them to shut up! I love it! Have a great christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Luke loves Christmas so much. His name is perfect.

    I liked your mothering story, it reminded me of years ago when one of my (handsome) sons was told by another little boy in the neighborhood that he was ugly. I said to my son something like, "have you ever taken a good look at him!?" I guess not a good thing to say (but I kinda wasn't lying).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have told my kidlets to 'punch them in the nose?'

    'Shut up!' is probably better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha Ha Ha! I'm so glad I'm not the only mother. Although, I have to agree with Karlyn...I, too, would have told them to punch them in the nose. What a neat treasure to pass from generation to generation. He'll be asking for it when his first son is born. And I'm SURE Granny is beaming from the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad he wore it. I love it's history in your family and think it's awesome that he wears it!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails