Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Letting Go


I found myself STEAMING mad this morning. Luckily, the family member I was mad at, had already left home. Otherwise, unfortunately I believe my 'weakness-that-I-couldn't-give-up-for-thirty-days' would have been displayed in all of it's fullness...

A little background.
We are all uptight about different things. What matters to one, does not to another.
In my house the floors may not have been vacuumed for a week, but watch out if your blinds are left closed once daylight is here...

Or perhaps there are dirty fingerprints all over a light switch or wall, but if your towel or dirty clothes are on a floor you better get them picked up. F.A.S.T.

Not only were the nameless individual's blinds closed... The towel was on the bedroom floor...Dirty clothes were left on the bathroom floor... And we won't even mention the state of the closet floor.

On Sunday, the sister giving the Relief Society lesson mentioned several times being able to 'let it go.' Though, I am sure this sister was referring to 'more important' things in life, I couldn't help but think of the 'little things' that drag me down and prevent me from "Being of Good Cheer."

I am in a quandary. What can I 'let go' while still maintaining some household standards and ultimately, teach my children to respect our belongings and our home and all that other stuff we are supposed to be teaching?

Is it just me, or are you uptight about certain things too?
What do you do?

Help!

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR FAMILY PICTURES!!!!!! YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no help on this one because I also have my own little things that really get on my nerves. (And it brings out my yelling.) Let me know if you get any good tips, because I could sure use some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am big on the blinds too. I need all the natural light I can get.

    There are certain things that really get me. Like going to work at night (leaving dinner made for everyone) and coming home to find NO dishes done and the house way more messy than I left.
    Kids put to bed in their clothes (not in pjs).
    I could go on.
    You're not alone.

    LOVE the new family pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are things that I am uptight about and some I have learned to let go...but there are those times when I just have to say, "I'm sorry, I know I can come across as a nag but I'm just trying to teach you guys."
    As far as blinds are concerned, I want my blinds open ASAP! My husband wouldn't open them all day long if he had his way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I LOVE the new family pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pictures! I need to see them all. Anyways you know where I stand on this. The fingerprints on the lightswitch would have driven me up the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha this reminded me of a story my older sister always tells. She forgot to make her bed one morning and my mom checked her out of school to come home and make her bed. This is so odd to me because I didn't miss school for ANYTHING. And trust me there were plenty of legitimate opportunities including personal death threats, family visiting from out of state, etc.. Obviously my mom loosened up on the bed making but that's probably because I am the youngest. I think parents are "easier" on the youngest child because it's harder picking up after 5 vs. 1. When you have a big family you need to have order and responsibilities. Sometimes you have to run a tight ship to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a great lesson. I too find myself worrying about things I'm not too sure are that important, and yet in my mind they seem very important. If I see dirty dishes in the sink one more time and not put in the dish washer I think I will scream!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails