Friday, October 16, 2009

Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me

I love Fall and nearly everything about Fall. I love the temperatures, I love the colors, I love saying goodbye to my garden for a season, I love...

Everything except the FLIES. Yes, Flies. Every Fall, they enter my house in large numbers.
But, as I've asked around, not everyone seems to have this Fall-problem!?! Our current house and our previous house were near horse fields. And both have had the same Fall-problem.
Horse fields are my only logical reason, because certainly my 'fly-snob-friend', Melanie, never has flies at her 'city' house. When Melanie enters my house in the fall, one of the first things she does is grab the fly swatter and counts aloud as she starts swatting away. (Yesterday she lost count after 12...)

Tuesday, I couldn't take a doze on my couch because there were SIX flies flying ON and around me. (Well, also the phone kept ringing and my two year old was whining...)

Flies are consuming way too much of my time. Not only am I having to walk around constantly swatting them. But even then, how sanitary is that having flattened flies and fly guts on your counter/cabinets? So then I have to follow the death path with Clorox wipes.

Flies are a concern for my health as well. Surely the rise in blood pressure they cause is not good. They are making me crazy. They are making me swear. They are making me yell. They are making me MAD. They are all around me. Sometimes, they are even trying to you know what, right there in my kitchen!!

Luke and I googled a solution the other day and had some type of apple juice/vinegar/sugar solution in an inside-out bottle and it didn't work. Luke wants me to "tell the man that stuff didn't work." Note to Google: It didn't work.

Megan said she learned in third (or second?) grade that flies have 20,000 eyes and that is why they are so hard to swat. (I'm not sure if that is the actual number she said. I couldn't hear her very well over my altercation with the flies.)

I will even admit there were 2, two, TWO dead flies in my boiling pan of potatoes the other night. They must have boiled to death, there in my potato pan. Serves them right.

What do you think I did? What would you have done if you found two dead flies in your pan of potatoes? Fished them out and no one but me ever has to know? Or, ordered take-out?

12 comments:

  1. We had insane amounts of flies two years ago. This year we had earwigs. Now it seems we have lots of mosquitoes in our house.

    Had I have found two dead flies in my potatoes, I probably would have scooped them out, drained the potatoes, and put fresh water in the pot (depending on how they were cooking). I think there are lots of worse things for our health in our homes than a little bug guts in our potatoes.
    Plus, there is probably MUCH worse things in fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate flies too. After Justin was baptized we had family over and left the screen door open for several hours. I was a little nervous that we would have mosquitoes....nope flies...scads of them. Every time I thought I had gotten all of them 4 more would appear. (and that's after cameron smashing around 20 the night before.) One thing I found that worked...kind of...was that morning I had a glass of choclate milk and left the cup out. I think I was reading and when I looked over there were 4 inside of the cup. i quickly covered it and took it outside....good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a horrible fly problem since I moved, yesterday I thought I got the last one and now I seem to have 4 more. Quite by accident as I was closing my kitchen window last night I smashed one that was relaxing in the window frame (hah!!! the dumb fly). I made Mike get up and clean up the guts....I can't stand bug guts. I'm going to try the chocolate milk cup idea tonight. As for the potatoes, I'm not sure what I would've done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you ate those potatoes I may not be able to be friends with you anymore. Hate them. Hate their disgusting little feet all over everything. Hate that they barf on their food in order to eat it. HATE THEM, HATE THEM, HATE THEM!!! Just get you some fly tape in your kitchen window for a few days and you'll be good to go. You'll be a white trash redneck, but they'll be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother always contended that the there were fly 'assignments'. You kill two, two more would appear. I have found that if I get the fly swatter out and sit looking for flies, they suddenly take off for greener climes. Put the dang thing down...they are back!
    PS.Sorry I miss the favorites! I have had a week or two. 4 district meetings in 10 days, sick from germ spraying students,church callings etc. I just forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe its because your kids are in and out all the time? But as for the potatoes I would have fished them out with out telling anyone and then I wouldn't eat any myself. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had flies lately, too, but only a couple at a time. They are still driving me crazy, though, so you have my sympathy. I think I agree with Aimee about what I would have done with the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take out would have been my fly fix of the day!
    The vinegar/juice solution is the key to ridding your home of FRUIT flies... I am a personal benefactor of this one...
    Maybe you should pick your most "faithful" kid and ask them to pray them away!!! Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a fly buzzing around my bedroom you can have for your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha Ha Ha HA Ha HA Ha Ha.......... I am working on the fly trap solution.

    And of course I would fish out the flies and make the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have flies, earwigs, and potato bugs in my house....it is very frustrating and maddening :) Plus Jack eats dead potato bugs almost daily. It is SO SO Gross!! I wish I had a way to get rid of them too.... Good luck!

    I would have probably fished out the flies and cooked the potatoes but then worried for the next week that I had made us all sick...

    ReplyDelete
  12. We too have a crazy amount of flies, I like your idea about the horses. We also have the horse pasture behind our house ....maybe. I was convinced it was the lack of children that shut the door each time they enter or exit the house. It is an extremely annoying problem though, one that I wish I didn't have.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails