Lately it seems my kids, my husband, family, friends, etc. have commented on my personality. It has made me think about what makes me, me. So, I thought I would record some random thoughts about me.
Garbage Cans-When a garbage can is full it gets...emptied!! Seems obvious I know, but I can't stand full garbages. If you can't fit something in the garbage can-it is time to EMPTY IT! Now, as far as the outside garbage cans go.... which you can't empty at your desire. We have two garbage cans and we seem to most weeks fill them both. Our garbage company comes on Mondays and I actually, (I can't believe I am going to so publicly admit this)get anxiety waiting for them to come. When I hear the garbage truck, I feel a tremendous amount of relief that they are empty and we can start "new" again. If the garbage man happens to come "later than usual" I worry that he won't come. (Unfortunately this still happens, even if both cans aren't full!)
News Headlines I am not a television watcher. Never really have been. In fact most days our television does not even get turned on until... either the 9pm or 10pm news. I have to see the news headlines. Usually our evenings revolve around when the news will start. If it is even 9:03pm, I will wait for the 10pm news, if it is 10:03pm, I will end up waiting until morning and check on the internet. I have to see the news the second it starts, not even a couple of minutes after. It is frequent in our house to hear, "You're going to miss the headlines." And I will admit, yes, once again, I get slight anxiety if I am hurrying to finish something and think I will miss the HEADLINES.
Clothing Hangers I will only use plastic hangers. But specifically, not the plastic hangers clothing is hung at stores on. I will remove the hangers before I even purchase the clothing and will hand it to the clerk, because I do not want to run any risk of them giving me the hanger. The same thing goes for metal clothing hangers. I do not use them! In fact, I remember in high school, my mother handing me some clean clothes to put away in my closet, and some were on metal hangers. I was so mad I threw them and hit my best friend... (sorry Melanie). It is amazing to me, that my temper can become flared with hangers. In fact, at the store just the other day, Megan begged me to allow her to keep a hanger when the clerk asked if we wanted the hanger. I finally gave in, after realizing the clerk was looking at me like I was the meanest parent on the planet. I told Megan though, under no circumstances, was I ever to see the hanger anywhere near my Laundry room....
Best Actress As a child I grew up in England, and our LDS Stake did Youth Roadshows every year. It was a highlight of my childhood to go to these stake productions every spring. They were always very, very well attended and very well done. After all the performances, they would give out awards with trophies. For several years in a row, a talented girl in the stake named Bridget won the Best Actress award. It became "a given" that she would win. Well, when I was 12 years old (the minimum age to be in one), I was in my first roadshow. I played the part of a Chinese Lady, I was dressed the part in an authentic kimono and of course, did a great chinese accent. (For those of you that know me WELL, I really think this is when "my love" began...) Well, I thought nothing of my performance and so as I sat there during the awards. Suddenly I heard, "Best Actress goes to....Tiffany Unwin." It was AMAZING! I can still remember how shocked yet excited I felt. Especially knowing, I had such stiff competition. I was very proud of myself. Needless to say, Bridget was NOT happy...
The Environment The other night, I took Megan to buy a new bag to school. We were at Walmart, and had also purchased some groceries. The checker asked Megan if she minded if she filled the new bag with groceries to help save the environment. Megan and I thought she was kidding, but Megan said, "sure." As the lady filled the bag FULL (I began to worry it would break her new bag!), I realized , I was kind of getting irritated. The reason why? Sorry, Al Gore, but I really don't care about the environment. Sure, of course I don't litter. But I love sending things to the garbage (obviously...), I loooovvvveee disposable diapers, if I want to use aerosol cans I will, and I don't worry about using styrofoam cups/plates, if I want to leave the fridge open while I pour my milk I will... Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the earth we have been given, it is beautiful and I recognize it as one of the greatest blessings from God, however, I believe there are some unrealistic people out there that make too big of a deal over dumb things!
Laundry I absolutely love to sort laundry. I love Monday mornings (I don't do laundry over the weekend), when my baskets are full and it is waiting to be sorted. The same goes for unpacking after a trip. Our suitcases are emptied within an hour of us coming in the door. I love to sort all the dirty laundry. I find myself giddy getting into bed Sunday nights, having just seen the overflowing laundry basket...
OK-So I have probably given enough information that have people questioning whether or not I am actually sane. So, that will be it for today. Besides, I'm sure there is a garbage can somewhere in my house that needs to be emptied, or some laundry to do....
You are SO funny...ok and maybe a wee bit anal but that's ok, we all are to some extent.
ReplyDeleteYou totally have me laughing!!! You are so dang funny! Love learning new things about you. Laundry, giddy in the same sentence. HUM, would have never thought. The suitcase thing I totally get.
ReplyDeleteOH.MY.GOSH! You are hysterical. I admire the laundry thing. Love the Best Actress thing (of course). I understand the hangers completely, and sort of get the Headlines. And, I'm with ya on the whole environment thing!
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post!
Yeah unfortunately most of us can sympathize with you. I have to clean the house before we leave because who could come home to a dirty house. I love the insights on you. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI too share the hanger obsession. All of mine have to be the same or coordinated colors. The wire ones go right back to the dry cleaners! What I love about you is how inquisitive you are and that you genuinely care about people. You are "what you see is what you get" and that is a great woman!
ReplyDeleteHow funny that you love the garbage can empty and the laundry basket full. Years ago someone in the ward called me with a laundry question. She said that someone had told her that I was the Queen of laundry. I think I've just stepped down. I'll happily pass the crown to you :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I've got some laundry to sort. Want to come for a visit? I'll put up with those idiosyncrasies any time. :)
ReplyDeleteYup...I remember the hanger incident!!! I vaguely remember you throwing the hanger at me as well. Go figure. You have to remember you were born with a curl in the middle of your forehead...and therefore "when you are good you are very good and when you are bad...you can be either very funny or intimidating. Still love you though.
ReplyDelete