Monday, February 9, 2009

A Kind Stranger & An Honest Husband

I have a cold. The common cold. I only ever get the common cold when I am pregnant.

Saturday night I felt especially yucky. I was tired. I was ornery. I had just yelled (and I mean YELLED!), at my children. The kids were all in bed. (Wouldn't you escape to bed if you had a tired-stuffy-nosed-pregnant-lady yelling at you?)

I realized that we had no milk to get through Sunday. I bribed my husband to go with me and promised him he could just wait in the car while I ran in. Megan was awake still reading in her room and was agreeable to this.

So off to the local supermarket we went. It was 8:30pm. I was still ornery and stuffy-nosed and still tired. I was minding my own business looking at the milk selection when a kind man, standing still, talking to another man turned to me and kindly spoke,

"You are a good mother."

I like to think it was because I radiated a angelic glow of motherly kindness and tenderness, but instead he was probably only noticing my big belly, as he continued,

"I'd ask if you sleep well, but I am sure you turn over uncomfortably."
(He said it with exaggerated hand gestures and sounds no less!)

"Thank you, you are very kind," was my response.

He continued and said something I can't remember, to which I replied,
"I have four others at home."

He gently touched my arm, looked me firmly in the eyes and said with much feeling,
"I knew you were a good mother."

"Thank you," I managed to squeak out before I turned away and tears immediately fell.

I picked out the eggs and sour cream with blurry eyes, as I thought how kind that man was to not only notice me, but compliment me on an evening I certainly didn't deserve that compliment.

I was deeply touched by his kindness.

I picked out my remaining items, checked out and returned to my waiting husband in the car.

Through fresh tears, I retold the conversation to my husband.

Expecting my husband to concur with the man, and also take the opportunity to tell me what a good mother I am . . . I wait for his response.

My dear husband's response came, but it wasn't what I was expecting,

"I'm surprised you didn't say, 'You're damn right I am!'

Saturday night I was more grateful for the words of a stranger, than the words of an honest husband.

11 comments:

  1. Your area a great mom! We all have those moments. It's ok. Sweet man! Men husband...sometimes we don't need to hear what they say. I have been out of the loop with the computer...we are all so so sick at our house too! Beau has rsv and the croup and Brittyn, Robbie and myself all have a version of it as bigger peeps. Hope your cold gets better fast. It is always hard being pregers cuz you can't take much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a story that would be told in conference. It's like an angel from the other side, and then Mike smacks you back into reality! You are a good mom though and you deserved the compliment! By the way did you buy Sudafed also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tiffany--how can I get teary and laugh all within mere moments? It had to be you...you are one in a million. I luv ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to be honest. I am that way when I am not preggers!
    I am crying and laughing, leave it to you to bring both emotions.
    I know that you are a fantastic mom, just from reading your blog. We all have those days, unfortunately, it's people like me that have them WAY too often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a good mother. You are very tender hearted too. It just goes to show how important it is to show kindness to others (even strangers in the grocery store). We never know when what we say or do will "make or break" someones day. I have to admit I LOL when I read what Mike said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That brought tears to mt eyes. Props to two very intune men who knew what you needed to hear right then. I love Mikes response. Remember that and use it often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat experience Tiffany.
    p.s. I agree with him, you are a good mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Mike. And for the record I have offered to watch your kids any time and for more that one night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a cool story...he obviously knew somehow that you needed to here that, and Mike will be Mike...Bret would say something like that to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stranger sounded a little creepy to me. Maybe pregnancy inhibits your creep-o-meter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, it made me cry. The Lord always puts people in our lives when we need them most. Which is why I have my wonderful friends Kim, Tiffany and Brandi.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails