Thursday, February 19, 2009

Name? Please?


I am close to having my fifth child. As has been the case with EACH ONE, Mike has NEVER and I mean NEVER given a suggestion for a name. Now, don't get me wrong, he certainly will give his opinion on ones I suggest, but he has never and I believe will never SUGGEST ONE.

In our 4 baby naming experiences, I'll tell you my favorite story.

Part 1
Since high school I had always said, my first daughter will be Megan and my first son, Joshua. I found out Megan was a girl while I was pregnant, but I wasn't sure she would be named Megan. There were a few other names I liked too. I made a chart that hung on the fridge that had the days of the week and what we would call our baby if she was born on a certain day. (The name 'Megan' was on the chart more than once.) When Megan was born, I told Mike to go out to the waiting room and tell family members she had finally arrived. (Incidentally-that is the ONLY time I will ever and have ever had people in a waiting room outside.) Before he would go out he asked, "What's her name going to be?" I replied, "I don't know yet, just go tell them she's born." These questions repeated 3-4 times each, until he said, "Is it going to be Megan?" I said firmly, "FINE-It will be Megan. NOW GO TELL THEM SHE IS BORN!"
(Megan wasn't on the 'Monday list.')

Part 2
When Megan was just a few hours old, a family member (who shall remain nameless) said, "So what are you going to name her?" Mike replied, "Megan." The family member said, "Give us some more choices to choose from."
That is not what you want to hear when you have just named your brand new first-born baby!!!!!!!

And now we are onto baby #5. A friend suggested I put a poll on my blog with a few name ideas-but I am very picky about who I will tell my ideas to, because it seems everyone will always give their honest opinion. And I can remember distinctly, what names I have suggested (and ending up using) in the past and exactly WHO doesn't like the name!! Usually, once you name the baby after arrival, people don't give their opinions quite as openly. (Unless you are from the 'remaining nameless' family.)

No one seems to give a second thought to what to name this baby except Ellie. She is obsessed with what we will name it. All I hear, all day, every day from her, are name suggestions for 'our baby.'

"What about naming it Jack Jackson?"

"I like the name Kennedy. Do you?

"Do you like the name Sister Meidell for our baby?"

"Do you like the name Reggie? There's a Reggie in my class."

"If it is a girl do you want to name it Kelsey?"

This was the conversation we had in the car the other day,
Ellie: "Do you like the name Christi?"
(No response from me. I was driving, it was snowing and I didn't want to have this conversation YET AGAIN. So, I did as most good mothers would do in this situation and I . . . . ignored her!)
Ellie: "Well Mom, do you?"
Me: "I guess."
Ellie: "Do you like the name Brady?"
Me: "Kind of"
Ellie: "Like the Brady Bunch, huh Mom?"
Ellie: "But do you like the name Bunch."
(Before I even had the chance to ignore her)
Ellie: "No, it wouldn't be good. It sounds like punch."

What am I going to name my baby?
Seems like no one in my family is much help!!??!!??

17 comments:

  1. This is such a tough one. I think you should let Ellie name it. Once the baby is born wait until Ellie comes up with something great. I won't laugh or make rude comments about whatever you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a teacher so names are very hard for me. I have an association with lots of names. I promise to love whatever you choose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What every name you pick will be great. I truly believe the name becomes what the person is. Could you imagine any of your kids with different names? I am sure this little one will make the name you choose perfect, unless you choose "bunch" or "punch!" (Which I am confident you won't)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly can't believe you are asking for suggestions! But watch out, I didn't want the name Court for good reasons, which are now coming to pass!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny!! I do have a few names in mind....but do you really want suggestions? I will have to email you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Punch? Hmmmmmmmm....well, with a name like that you may never have to worry about him/her being the one beat up on. But he/she may "punch" the other kids. I like the poll idea. Since you don't know the sex of the baby you could do a voting poll (check out Melissa and Adam on my contact list). Get an idea of what people think it is (although I won't participate, I know what it is and I'm not telling). As usual your posts are completely entertaining. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say go for a post poll! And let us know so we can surrender back your car seat or our pink one which was only used once :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff's the same way, which is so aggravating. I think if he's going to have such strong opinions he should volunteer some suggestions! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, like Kim, can't believe you're asking for suggestions . . . especially since you will end up doing whatever the HELL you want, anyway. I say that as a friend who knows you and loves you for you being who you are. I still like Annie, by the way. Got nothing for a boy, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've always wanted an Annie and I think that is a cute name. I don't know for a boy but I agree that you should post some names that you like in a poll and we can all vote for our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read my mom's most recent post. I thought of you; you need to read it :-)
    www.irishiis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Tiffany, I'm not much help. All I know is when you see him/her you will know. We had picked two names for our son Keith and neither of them were Keith. He just didn't look like Troy or Cole.
    Working at an Elementary school there are deffinetly names I would never suggest. They remind me too much of those student that are always in trouble all the time. Sorry I can't be of more help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What about Gertrude?
    or if a boy Mortimer?
    Those are good solid names :o)
    Just being funny.....
    My Dad suggests whatever you name your baby call it by that name. We had friends once that named their baby Philip and promptly called him Phil. For further clarification ask Lesley. I think you may need to put another i in my blog address.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Names are hard. And I'm sorry this is a struggle for you. We had a harder time with boy names. And, unfortunately I was the type of woman that needed them to have a name while they were in my tummy... luckily it worked out.

    I noticed Annie, I must say that I LOVE this name and it goes well with you others. And I LOVE the name Brady as well, it was on my short list. It also goes well with your other names.

    I could tell you the other names we thought of for our kidlets, but you might think we're crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As long as I get to cuddle him or her I think any name will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I got mixed thoughts on the twins names too. In the end it REALLY is the kid that makes the name, not the name that makes the kid. I think all your kids have great names so I'm sure you will come up with something great. Who cares what other people think anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails