Thursday, January 2, 2014

Being Still

Last year on January 1st, 2013 Mike and I had made grand plans for our year. Not necessarily a big long list of goals and resolutions, but a few changes we hoped to implement with our children. We sat them down the evening of January 1st and talked them all through with them. It didn't quite go as planned, and 5 children tired and ornery from staying up too late the previous evening didn't quite co-operate as we had hoped.

I went into my bedroom feeling discouraged, while Mike wrestled the children into bed at the other end of the hall. As I laid down on my bed, I heard in my mind, clear as day the scripture passage from Psalms 46:10 which reads, "Be still and know that I am God." I have no doubt in my mind that it was a personal message sent to me from a loving God who knew my heart and desires.

I decided to make that simple phrase my personal mantra for 2013. One of the ways I incorporated being still more into my life was making sure I spent 15 minutes DAILY sitting on the couch doing nothing more than being still. I didn't nap, read, or do anything other than sit quietly alone with no distractions. (Which was what I had been talking about on my KSL radio interview last spring, but it got edited to say, "I make sure and sit on the couch every day.")

I did it faithfully for several months, but then the days muddled together and even the necklace I had made and wore frequently around my neck, didn't help remind me, or rather didn't help me prioritize making the time to "be still."

This year, (yesterday) on January 1st, Mike and I didn't sit down with our children to discuss any grandiose plans. Guess our non-communicated decision to not do it was two-fold...

1. We didn't quite master all our suggestions from last year, so we figured we could keep trying on those ones.
2. Having 4 children stay up until midnight the previous night, and 1 child get woken up at midnight made for some pretty tired and ornery children come New Years Day. Mike and I didn't have it in us to do much more than referee the occasional argument. (The others we left for the children to figure out on their own.)

I didn't receive any personal inspiration January 1st, 2014 as I did the previous year. Not that I was seeking for it, or even desired it. I believe that some of the best inspiration comes when we least expect it, which was why last year's "Be still" experience touched me so deeply. I decided to approach my own personal 2014 mantra, much the same way Mike and I have approached our family's "goals."

I didn't master being still quite like I wanted to in 2013, so I'll give it a try again for 2014. I need to remember in the chaos that so often reigns supreme in my life, that God is God and it is in the quiet, still moments I feel his guiding hand the most.



Happy New Year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails