Monday, January 5, 2009

2009-Turning Outward

Happy New Year!
I don't make New Years Resolutions. I don't like them. However, a couple of years ago as 2007 rolled around, I decided to make a random list of 52 things I would do that year. They ranged anywhere from, "Defrosting my freezer" to "Making a meal with fish" to "Cleaning all my blinds in one day." They were VERY random. I actually forgot about the list half way through the year, but when I found it the next year, I was pleased to find I had done almost 80% of what I had originally written.
So, a new year has rolled around. This year, I have changed my list a little and made a random list of things I would do to be more spiritual and thoughtful of others, and turn some of my focus outside of what just I want to do/accomplish. Here is my list.

Some Random Things I will do in 2009

(In no particular order and with no definite date.)

Send a funny card to a friend

Surprise someone with a meal

Write a note of thanks for something that may usually go unnoticed.

Write a letter to each child and put in their baby books

Make a phone call to someone I haven’t spoken to in over a year

Spend an afternoon doing only what the children want

Deliver warm homemade rolls to someone

One full day during which my voice isn’t raised

One month where I read my scriptures EVERY DAY of it.

Take a friend to lunch

A day with no negative comment

Offer to baby-sit somebody’s kids for a couple of hours

With my children, weed somebody’s yard

Double my fast offering one month

Read the whole Doctrine & Covenants

On MY birthday, send flowers to my mom.

Iron a shirt for Mike for at least 20 minutes

Treat a friend to a pedicure

Visit the family history library

Take the kids to This Is The Place Heritage Park

Do a session at the Logan temple

Read a book by a General Authority

Have a month where I write in my personal journal 6 times

Treat Megan to a pedicure

Bear my testimony in Sacrament Meeting

Send somebody a bouquet of flowers

Invite a family over I would rather not

Allow Luke to be the boss for one day

Allow Ellie to be the boss for one day

Take an over-nighter with Mike (before the baby is born)

Help my children tie a quilt and give it away

Make a delicious dessert and give it all away

Take my children to a nursing home

Write a letter/e-mail to an old friend from England

Complete my sister-in-laws wedding album

Make a homemade gift and give to someone out of the blue

Take my older 2 children to the LDS Humanitarian Center

Invite a family over for Family Home Evening

Do something kind for the garbage man

Which one would you like to be the recipient of... I am very open to suggestions...


12 comments:

  1. I am hoping that I will be the recipient of the wedding album. I also wouldn't mind if we were the family you invited over even though you rather not:) Maybe you could invite us over while you and Mike are on your over nighter.

    One of my goals for this year is to do more family history research and to go the the Family History Library every other Friday so maybe we could do some research together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. u know :) i still don't have a wedding album myself :) but... i would also enjoy one of your wonderful dinners. anything to be with you guys really :) we'll be there in february from the 18-24 so we want to see you A LOT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of those sound very nice to be the recipient of....but if you invited us over for FHE (and fixed the yummy dessert that you mentioned on your list) I hope it wouldn't mean that you were inviting over the family that you would rather not. But if you did invite the (random) family that you would rather not to FHE, you could cross two things off the list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of those sound very nice to be the recipient of....but if you invited us over for FHE (and fixed the yummy dessert that you mentioned on your list) I hope it wouldn't mean that you were inviting over the family that you would rather not. But if you did invite the (random) family that you would rather not to FHE, you could cross two things off the list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, can we be the family you'd rather not invite over?! I loved your list. It's inspiring me to make my own resolutions even though I am also not a fan of new years resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. I love the idea of sending flowers to your mom on your birthday. I think that's a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I didn't set any resolutions this year. What's the point. But I do like the list. Thanks! My kids are always available :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if I could choose...I would take the weeding! You know me. Course I like the flower thing too! Love ya, mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your list you're amazing tiff! Since i now live in Logan you should consider letting me know when you are doing a session up here and we can go together!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You haven't invited Carter over have you?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm wondering if we are the family you are going to have over for dinner, but would rather not? :) Either way, dinner at your house is usually very yummy and entertaining, so we'll take you up on the invitation even if you would rather not have us there!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails