As Melanie's car pulled up next to mine, I jumped out quickly to meet Megan before she got to our car and had to endure listening to Ellie's proud announcement.
I put my arm around Megan and said something along the lines, "Don't be upset, but Daddy let Ellie. . ."
Ha-I didn't even need to finish the sentence. I didn't have to break the news! Instead Megan interrupted me with,
"THAT! IS! NOT! FAIR!-I wasn't even allowed when I was 8."
Megan ran over to the car, climbed in and was of course greeted with Ellie holding back her hair and proudly showing off her sparkly, diamond stud ear-rings.To which Megan just . . .
giggled. . .
(Although as her mother I happen to know that giggle. It is the giggle that says,'If I don't laugh I am going to cry.'
Though I have heard quietly asked questions such as "Ellie, did it hurt?" Megan has turned down all offers to go and get her ears pierced.
This is Megan's true personality coming out-her thrill is in the arguing-
This is Megan's true personality coming out-her thrill is in the arguing-
you tell her she can do something-she no longer wants to.
Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here . . .Maybe it will work to say, Hey Megan-You can smoke and drink and be bad all you want . . .
Maybe she will be a lawyer! i told my kids no until you are 12...that went out the window when Meghan got her ears pierced on a Daddy daughter date!
ReplyDeleteLeave it to the men to make us fabulous women do the dirty work!! I love the story! Poor Megan...she had to have been crushed.
ReplyDeleteIs she going to give in and get it done is what I am wondering. What a funny story. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete