Those of you close to me have unfortunately had to listen to me grumble and complain about Megan's Science Fair project and the School Spelling Bee.
Now, I am definitely in favor of academic achievement in the classroom. Homework, spelling, reading etc. are all part of our everyday afternoon/evening routines. (Although, don't even get me started on my views of homework...)
But, when the (Mandatory) Science Fair project packet came home mid-December, Mike and I both did our fair share of grumbling. It would be near impossible for a fourth-grader to do a science fair project on their own--it turns into busy work for parents. It did however get finished-no one really had a good time working on it, we all took turns complaining about something to do with it.
Mike because he was put "in charge of it,"
Megan because Dad kept putting it off,
Luke and Ellie because they couldn't eat the ice cream being "tested," and
Joshua, because he couldn't color on the big white display board."
Megan because Dad kept putting it off,
Luke and Ellie because they couldn't eat the ice cream being "tested," and
Joshua, because he couldn't color on the big white display board."
A week before the project was due and still plenty of 'busy work' left to do to get the project finished, Megan comes home and announces that she was one of the top two spellers in her class and would thus be moving onto the School Spelling Bee.
Mike and I offered the typical proud parent responses, UNTIL, Megan produces a list of 200+ spelling words, (MANY of which Mike and I had never heard of or could attempt to pronounce.) She continued to tell us that the Spelling Bee would be held the day before the Science Fair Project was due. All typical proud parent responses ceased, and Mom's complaining began.
Science Fair and studying for a Spelling Bee all on top of typical nightly homework, reading, spelling, extra-curricular activities, chores, etc. How much should a 10 year old be expected to do?
The night before the Spelling Bee, we tested Megan on 5 words-she spelled all of them incorrectly. "Oh well," we reassured her, "It is an honor to have qualified. Just do your best."
So the Spelling Bee comes, and what does Megan do? Her very best. Megan came in 6th out of 27 fourth, fifth and sixth graders!!!!!!! (She ended up being the top 4th grader.) Typical proud parent responses were given.
Two days later was the Science Fair Open House. I was not happy as I patiently waited for the Open House to be finished, so I could help Megan take down her display. There were about 1 million parents and children in the lunch room, it was 125 degrees, and Joshua was on about his 15th (NO EXAGGERATION) piece of licorice. I wanted to leave. I was irritated. I was hot. I was ornery. The project was finished. LET IT PLEASE END.
All of a sudden, I hear a familiar name, "The next Honorable Mention for fourth grade is, 'Megan Sowby.' And what happened then? It was no typical proud parent response.
Way to go Megan. We are proud of your efforts and achievements.
Mike and I offered the typical proud parent responses, UNTIL, Megan produces a list of 200+ spelling words, (MANY of which Mike and I had never heard of or could attempt to pronounce.) She continued to tell us that the Spelling Bee would be held the day before the Science Fair Project was due. All typical proud parent responses ceased, and Mom's complaining began.
Science Fair and studying for a Spelling Bee all on top of typical nightly homework, reading, spelling, extra-curricular activities, chores, etc. How much should a 10 year old be expected to do?
The night before the Spelling Bee, we tested Megan on 5 words-she spelled all of them incorrectly. "Oh well," we reassured her, "It is an honor to have qualified. Just do your best."
So the Spelling Bee comes, and what does Megan do? Her very best. Megan came in 6th out of 27 fourth, fifth and sixth graders!!!!!!! (She ended up being the top 4th grader.) Typical proud parent responses were given.
Two days later was the Science Fair Open House. I was not happy as I patiently waited for the Open House to be finished, so I could help Megan take down her display. There were about 1 million parents and children in the lunch room, it was 125 degrees, and Joshua was on about his 15th (NO EXAGGERATION) piece of licorice. I wanted to leave. I was irritated. I was hot. I was ornery. The project was finished. LET IT PLEASE END.
All of a sudden, I hear a familiar name, "The next Honorable Mention for fourth grade is, 'Megan Sowby.' And what happened then? It was no typical proud parent response.
I burst out laughing.
Way to go Megan. We are proud of your efforts and achievements.
Truly, we are proud parents.
Unfortunately being on the other end of the project I don't have much to say. I did complete my science fair project with great success this year and only mild hair pulling, swearing and ranting and raving.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Megan! High Five girl.
Good job, Megan! I have to say I am positive I would have been grumbling a lot as well. How much school work is a ten year old expected to do?!?
ReplyDeleteWhen Caitlin finished elementary school I was so happy that we had "no more science fair projects" (she got picked for district once and we had to go to Weber State). Little did I know the "fun stuff" we had to look forward to in Jr. High and High School. Remember my post about Les is miserable?
ReplyDeleteYAAAHHHHH Megan!!!! (Yaahh Tiff for laughing, sometimes we need to laugh...just so we don't cry.)I have to but a yeah in there for Mike too...after all, he was in charge ;)
ReplyDeleteI totally hear you. Our WHOLE FAMILY just finished Tyson's invention for his school's Invention Convention. I agree, elementary aged kids SHOULD NOT be required to do these large projects where the parents OBVIOUSLY have to play a large roll in.
ReplyDeleteI am a stickler about Tyson doing his own work on all of the projects he works on, so his usually turn out to be the 'sloppy' looking one where most of the others are OBVIOUSLY done with much more parent help.
Sorry to ramble, I could write a similar post to yours!
Life would be easier if your kids were underachievers! And your "not so typical" response at the end was VERY typical for you! I am proud of Megan though - way to go!
ReplyDeleteWow! I didn't know Megan made it to the spelling bee and received honorable mention for her science fair project.
ReplyDeleteYour response to laugh must have been a giggle similar to Megan's giggle when she heard Ellie got her ears pierced. It was laugh or cry.