Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pet Peeve or A Little OCD?

(Thank you to my sister-in-law, Cindy for her 'modern-day approach-to-research' for this information.)

I think sometime back in high school, I discovered I had a pet peeve, or perhaps even a little OCD. If I was ever in a bathroom, and the toilet paper was not coming from on top of the roll (see diagram), no matter where I was at, I. would. change. it.

In fact, it bothered me so much, I wanted to know if there was a right or wrong way to hang toilet paper. Now of course my high school days were before the "Why don't you Google it?" era. However, back in that day, I read Dear Abby FAITHFULLY every day in the Deseret News. And lo and behold one day, there was an etiquette article addressing this very issue.

Ahh-At last I had proof.

There WAS a right and wrong way to hang the toilet paper. Now I had research to back me up in my efforts to right people's homes of incorrectly hung toilet paper. And still, 17+ years later, I admit I am still switching people's toilet paper.

Are you hanging your toilet paper correctly?
(If not, I have obviously not been in your bathroom recently!!
)

For the "modern day" research, feel free to check out the following link:
http://currentconfig.com/archives/000083.html

12 comments:

  1. This has to be an Unwin thing. I'll be honest my "anonymous" tipster was Casey. When I put the toilet paper on the roll I could care less how it is placed because I just need to use it and the faster the better. Needless to say Casey always notices if the toilet paper is on incorrectly and he has to point it out to me before he will fix it. I see the point that he makes but I am not in there long enough to notice nor care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to say that I hang my TP correctly and although I've never corrected someone elses TP if someone hangs ours wrong I immediately change it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud to say that I hang my TP correctly and although I've never corrected someone elses TP if someone hangs ours wrong I immediately change it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Tiffany, it seems lately my comments are being "double clicked". I'll try to do better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if you're too lazy to even put the toilet paper on the roller?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so funny. I've heard of it being a point of contention among couples. Luckily, Craig and I are both on the same page with this one. We always have the toilet paper going over :) I always do think of switching other peoples if it's wrong, but have only been brave enough to do that at my parents house. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didn't used to bother me until someone suggested that the wrong way got more germs on the paper. And you will be glad to know that I can't stand ignorance when hanging toilet paper. I have been known to switch them in public bathrooms if possible. My older kids had a school assignment about that...tell you when I see you. Do you do a hotel point when you finish cleaning your bathrooms? I do. Maybe I better stop before I freak everyone you know out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Lesley, I have to have it going the "correct" way, but I only change the TP in my own house if it's wrong. Jeff pays no attention whatsoever even after me mentioning it several times so I'm resigned to just correcting it when he does it wrong! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny! Jen, I'm with you on this one. But, when I do put it on, it has to be the right way.

    I had a roommate in college that was a little obsessive about it, so we would hang it the wrong way just to tick her off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant Emily....seriously, what is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to be honest....I have never really cared, but I looked at your blog this morning and a few minutes ago I had to re-place a role of Tp. Just have to say I placed it the "right" way due to you. So, I am coming back to let you know. Thanks, you can always make me laugh. See you in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a couple of great comments for this one, first, MANY years ago when we were first married, my cousin had some college class where he had to interview married people and ask about our pet peeves with each other. Alan said that apparently I didn't hang the toilet paper the correct way. I just said he spent way too much time in there if he were going to notice such a thing! Funny you two agree! Since then, I've tried to hang it correctly. My second comment is that since Court came into the picture, the toilet paper is never actually hanging up, it's always either on the counter or the floor. And in our downstairs bathroom he managed to rip the holder out of the wall, so you're lucky if you can find any toilet paper at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails