Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shattered Dreams

When I was about 14 years old, I visited a family on a Sunday afternoon. They weren't wearing their 'church clothes' but they declared the outfits they had on to be their 'Sunday clothes.' What a fabulous idea! I loved it. I committed right then and there that "When 'I grow up' my family will have nice 'Sunday clothes' to wear after church."

On an-early-in-our-marriage-Sunday, I declared to my husband,

"We really shouldn't wear jeans on the Sabbath."

I'm not sure I recall his reaction. I think I have probably mentally blocked out the disagreeable comments I'm sure I received.

Fast forward a few years. I abided by my own rule and when Megan came along, she too was agreeable to my rule. We would come home from church and she would change into a "Sunday dress." I would change into anything that wasn't jeans.

Then came some cold, wintry Sundays. Sweats were my desired clothing of choice. Warm, comfortable, cozy.

Then along came Luke. Though he was quick to remove his church clothes after church, nothing went back on. Diapers and then underwear became his Sunday attire.

Mike kept being Mike. Most times shorts were put on (the approved cotton/khaki kind.) But othertimes, out came the ever forbidden denim.

Then came more kids. And then came sister-in-laws and brothers and suddenly... I (usually in my sweats if it was winter/skirt if it was summer) became the brunt of the jokes every Sunday we were together.

My dreams of my put-together-Sunday-clothed-family shattered into a thousand laughs at my expense.

This past Sunday we came home from church, and everyone scattered to their various rooms to shed their church clothes. Mike returned an hour later than the rest of us. As Mike walked into the kitchen to greet me, he smirked,

"What are you wearing?"

He wasn't smirking at the over-sized t-shirt and sweats he was politely looking past. Instead, a big two-three inch square of smeared snot across my shoulder had caught his attention.

And once again, I felt that old familiar pang of my long ago fantasy of, "When 'I grow up' my family will have nice 'Sunday clothes' to wear after church."

I try to forget my old fantasy. I try to let go of the less than perfect persona we portray alone, in our house, on a Sunday afternoon.

Sunday evening rolled around. I was still wearing the over-sized t-shirt and sweats and by this time, the smeared snot across my shoulder had dried. My three boys playing together next to the couch caught my attention and I looked over at them:

All I saw was a sea of camouflage. And that old familiar lost fantasy pang returned.

I know this is not what I envisioned twenty years ago when I fantasized about, "When 'I grow up' my family will have nice 'Sunday clothes' to wear after church."

14 comments:

  1. I love this post! Cute and funny...you kids are so darling! I would be in sweats myself! + snot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a deep breath.....and let it go. Everyone's idea of "comfy Sunday afternoon clothes" is different. I live in my sweats on Sunday. And I think that jeans would be a much NICER way to go. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it count that if I start to put on jeans on a Sunday I do think of you? That's got to be good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all have a few shattered dreams along the way. I liked the sentiments of this post. You always do such a great job of expressing yourself, thanks for sharing you and your family with us. Your blog is so refreshing to me and always guarantees a laugh, provokes some thought, or the occasional tear as I read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing makes me laugh so hard. I can hear you saying this. I am nearly stripping out of my nylons as I walk across the street to get into my jeans and t shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe, well I can believe it, that a 14 year old would want to have "sunday clothes". Only you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the reason you wanted Sunday Clothes as a 14 year old is that you were listening to Janice Kapp Perry and the reason Alan wears a T-shirt to Thanksgiving dinner and jeans every day of the week including Sundays is that he was listening to Ratt or Rush or Metallica or something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I figure I can't "rest" in a dress. Definitely sweats for me. Unless we are going to family for dinner, then I usually stay in my dress.

    For my kids, their clothes aren't safe once they start eating, so off with the church clothes for them.

    Now that I read my comment, I don't own a dress. Make that a skirt and sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your post. I too have tried over the years not to wear jeans on Sunday, and in my home (the only girl) was the only one wearing anything that resemble church attire. Now Jim is usually the one who is in his Sunday dress most of the time. hahaha
    My big problem now is the nights during the week that I don't have meetings of some kind you will find me in my robe by 5:00. I always pray no one will come to the door and find this lazy woman at home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come now, let us reason together...Deep down I think you know that an aspiration to wear "Sunday clothes" on Sunday is, in fact, ridiculous. It is just one more thing to feel guilty about - yet another way to punish yourself for not living up to some ideal that has been imposed on you by some authority other than yourself and which you feel incapable of living up to. You have obviously let go of some of the need to control this one aspect of your life (out of laziness or resignment if you will), but until you can do so with authentic intent (aka - sincerity) and drop all neurotic feelings of resentment, nostalgia, inadequacy, or guilt about what is presently reality for you and your family vs. your fantasy of how things *should* be, you have not really let it go at all; and consequently it will continue to surface from time to time upsetting your relationships with your family. Perhaps this is the single best reason for you to have a blog. It allows you to vocalize some of the things you maybe otherwise wouldn't get to hear yourself say and cause you to accept what your reality is without so much resentment. Either that, or it can serve to facilitate a more pointed rebellion on your part than you have allowed yourself to have (you putting your foot down and frantically screaming "No more! Mom's dream is Sunday clothes! You're all wearing Sunday clothes or Mom walks!!") which might in turn be just the catalyst you need to start living a more authentic life than you have up to this point. Just friendly observations meant to provoke thought. Please don't take them too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had that dream once also. I also tried to forbid the TV being turned on for Sabbath viewing. Just one more goal to keep working on. I think you are fabulous. I can't wait for Summer Sundays. How about sharing homemade ice cream with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. I keep my Sunday dress on all day. Ken usually stays in his but my kids..That is a different story. I would love Sunday Outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we all have realizations like this throughout our life. We envision our future self but when the time comes our future self isn't what we "dreamed" of. Sometimes its better or worse and other times it's just different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the sea of camo! My family was the "church clothes" family. But now . . . I WEAR JEANS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails