Friday, July 27, 2012

Cheering From Across the Pond

One of my favorite Olympic memories is from the 1984 Olympics. I was on vacation with my friend and her family at the Witterings. While her parents were off enjoying the seaside with friends and family one evening, my friend Karen and I were in the little holiday villa with her big brother, Brian.

England won a gold medal in something (who knows what--perhaps I should google it!) and Brian made Karen and I stand and sing the national anthem during the award ceremony. I must note, it was not out of any patriotic tribute or respect that he made us sing along. It was totally in a big brother teasing type way. He laid on the couch laughing at us the whole time.

And that is the story I tell Mike (or anyone else for that matter) that has to tolerate my singing along when a national anthem is played that I know during an Olympic ceremony. It's sad really though, it makes Mike far less cheering for Team USA than he should be as a fellow American, because he is sparing himself the pain during the awards ceremony.

Nonetheless.
We love the Olympics. And the fact it is in London this time around is doubly exciting. I can't wait to lay in bed watching swimming, gymnastics, running, and diving. And as I do every year, I'll root for my two favorite national anthems to be sung.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails