Monday, November 4, 2013

Happy Day(s)

Luke's 12th birthday on Saturday marked the end of our fall birthday season.

As per tradition, Luke opened up his presents on mom and dad's bed. Obviously, he was pretty excited about them.

The day was spent attending a baptism, mowing the lawn (Who? Besides Mike makes their kid work on their birthday!!??), ordering new bike parts with birthday $$, going to a trampoline park with some friends, and ended with a Weanie Roast and Football Party in our back yard with even more friends.

As Mike and I sat by the fire Saturday evening as the party wound down, I silently patted myself on the back for the effort I put into making another child's birthday successful.

Luke is always very quick to say thank you for pretty much everything and anything. And the look on his face as he said, "Thanks Mom!" on Saturday night, makes all the effort of a birthday worth it.

Luke laid between Mike and me in bed Saturday night to watch a short video clip Mike wanted him to watch about Luke's upcoming priesthood ordination the next day.  It was a pretty tender moment, having a big 12 year old lay between us. I couldn't help looking back 12 years ago, and feeling nostalgic and sentimental about the days that have passed. Pretty soon Luke and Mike's eyes both got droopy, and I was the lone one left watching what ended up to be a not so short video clip.

Luke begged to be carried to bed, and as tired as Mike was, we put in a group effort and one of us held Luke's feet, the other his arms and carried him as far as his bedroom door. He was a far cry from the 7lbs 15oz he entered the world at 12 years ago, but carrying him to bed was a silly little birthday treat.

Happy 12th Birthday Luke!

Sunday was a special day for us too, Luke received the Aaronic Priesthood and was ordained to the office of a deacon. A definite milestone in his life. I wish I had taken a photo of all the people that shared in the special time in our home Sunday night. It was a small, yet special group. Luke's a blessed boy.
(I didn't even think to pull out my camera! Thankfully Mike's mom did.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails