Our kids, hooped and hollered and danced around, as though we said we were going to Disneyland. (Which we have done several times in the past, and upon announcing it they have never danced around.) Mental note to us parents: Save $100's and $100's and stay 30 miles from home for one night instead!!!!!!
We arrived at our hotel Saturday night in time for Luke to begin jumping from bed to bed in the hotel room, Joshua to stay perched in front of the full glass closet door and stare at himself for the duration of the evening,

Megan asking if she can "take home all the bottles in the bathroom." (Shampoo, mouthwash, lotion etc.)
and Ellie excitedly exclaiming, "Oh Mom, THERE IS a bathroom."
Swimming in the pool, kicking each other in bed, arguing about who gets what pillow, complaining about who has to sleep next to who, and finally some peaceful slumber took care of our first 12 or so hours at the hotel.
Surely though, the highlight must have been, what my children assumed was an 'All-You-Can-Eat-Affair.' ...Breakfast at the hotel...

Fortunately there were very few people eating breakfast at the hotel that morning, and so they probably didn't notice (although otherwise VERY well behaved), that our children probably put one of everything on their plates. No-didn't try one of everything.
Upon Luke seeing a sausage patty on my plate, he excitedly asked where they were, I told him, and he returned with THREE on his plate. (Didn't like them after the first bite...)
Megan was so excited about the individual boxes of cereal, "Do you think we can take home one of the boxes?"
Megan excited about the cereal was NOTHING, compared to Luke's excitement about the . . . . . Margarine . . . . .(Now here is where it needs a small explanation-I am a butter snob. When we lived with my parents a few years ago, they always had soft BUTTER in a dish. I have NEVER returned to ANYTHING else. It is real butter that is it at our house. Luke on the otherhand, talks frequently about margarine in a tub. (Yes, the very cheap ones, that probably can cause fatal heart valve cloggage instantly if one isn't careful.) At stores, he will try and sneak the large (always the industrial size) tubs of margarine, into the cart. Never have I given in.)
Back to the hotel. There in a basket, carefully arranged were small individual serving sizes of cream cheese, jams, butter and
. . . Luke's . . . much desired margarine.
Two of which were held firmly in his little hand and asked with much sincerity,
"Can I please take these home and have them on toast this week. It will be so yummy?"
Upon careful consideration and rationing, one has since been used since Sunday. The other is, "Waiting for a day I really want it."
Are Mike and I as parents, depriving our children??



Nope...We've never taken our children 30 minutes from our house to stay the night. Sounds like fun. As for depriving luke of soft margarine.....probably, but you never know, he may thank you late in life :)
ReplyDeleteI love you children. The bring back memories of my sweet little ones. You are terrific parents. I have always admires you. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteMan I can't spell when there is a room full of jumping and excited 4th graders....I shoudl be used to the chaos
ReplyDeleteI LOVE IT!!! I am so glad you guys had a good time!
ReplyDeleteI tagged you...have fun.
This is the best post ever! Seriously my mom and I were just talking about our family trips and i could remember more details of our hotel rooms and the excitement we had at each one, rather than the expensive tours of different parks! Love your ideas... I'm going to refer to you blog a lot when i become a mom!
ReplyDeleteI still remember all of our trips to Park City. We loved it as kids. I think that you had a great idea to stay close. Love the stories.
ReplyDeleteDid they have those awesome fake eggs available?
ReplyDeleteIt looks and sounds like a lot of fun!!
ReplyDeleteI am a butter snob too. I grew up on margarine, but shortly after marriage was introduced to the true deliciousness of butter. Don't think margarine has EVER been in our house since. I love the simple things that make kids happy/excited :)
ReplyDeleteHilarious!!! We wonder the same things when our daughter hoards her happy meal food for weeks until we find it. Nah, they just happen to love new and exciting things ;)
ReplyDeleteHow fun! I think you should give in and get some margarine for Luke so he can have it on his toast every morning.
ReplyDelete