Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Important People

On Sunday, tears streamed down my face during the opening song in our Sacrament Meeting at church. It wasn't because we singing the song I typically hate that we sing every Mother's Day (Love at Home). It was because my thirteen year old daughter was accompanying the congregation on the organ. My heart was full with joy and pride watching Megan do something I would probably never have the guts (or talent) to do.

Over the weekend, I was told to be sure and watch the P&G Olympic tribute to mothers. I didn't get around to it until today. As I watched, I couldn't help but think of Megan playing the organ on Sunday at church. I thought of the years leading up to it--rides to and from music lessons, nagging gentle reminders to practice, check after check written out to music teachers and so on.

Very few of our children will become Olympians. Few of our children will become church organists. But this tribute to mothers shows all the work that goes behind the scenes to make our children great. Although this video shows children participating in athletic events, it would be no different if we were seeing a video of a child helping out a friend that is sad, or a child finally passing a math test at school, or a child holding a door for a stranger, or a child who can finally tie their own shoe. All events that very often, all of us as mothers have helped happen.

Just this morning I came across this sentence in an essay by Chrysula Winegar, a champion for mothers worldwide.  "I remember that being a mother is the most powerful role in society - a fact that society works very hard at concealing from us."

I've said enough. Watch the video and give yourself a pat on the back.
Mother's Day or not.
We mothers are pretty powerful and important people.
YOURSELF included.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails