Monday, June 3, 2013

Poor Counsel

Redondo Beach, CA--May 30th, 2013

Three years ago at the end of the year, our bishop (leader of our local church congregation) counseled us to make sure in the upcoming year to take a family vacation. (To make memories, strengthen bonds, etc. etc.)

Of course that night, I bugged Mike about it, and am ashamed to admit I have continued to bug him about it every so often since that end of year meeting. "Bugging him", meaning, I lament to him that we never take the time or money to go on a "real vacation" and that one day we'll regret it, etc. etc.  He reminds me that everyday memories are just as important and even though we might not do "real vacations", we do plenty of other good things to build memories.

With that said, it's pretty easy to surmise that although Mike was in complete agreement about our most recent "vacation", I initiated it.

And so I blame myself.

Actually, I blame him as well. After all, he could have said no it would be too expensive, or too difficult to take time off work, or too hard to manage 5 kids, or whatever excuses he we have given vacations in the past.

But he was in complete agreement with it.

Then the "vacation" happened.

And well, um, let's put it this way, it wasn't exactly a vacation.

It bordered slightly on the "miserable" scale. I can't even count the number of times Mike and I looked at each other, and without even saying a word, read each other's thoughts and knew what the other was thinking.

Things like:

"What were we thinking?"

"How much longer until we get to go home?"

"How long exactly until they are all grown up and gone from home?"

"Make sure we never claim to miss this one day."

"Why? Why? Why?"

"Will they ever stop fighting?"

"Why are they so loud?"

"Do they ever stop?"

"Do you think we can abandon them?"


Yes! That would be Luke purposefully photo bombing our romantic photo shoot. Like I was trying to say, good, obedient, submissive, well-behaved children wasn't exactly the highlight of our trip.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't all that bad. But having only been home a few hours, I haven't quite forgotten the negative parts long enough to do a blog post that focuses on the highlights of the trip. Maybe tomorrow. For now, I (and Mike) feel a little bit like this:

(Drew, June 1, 2013)

More on our family vacation another day.

PS-Our bishop only has one child (who is now an adult). I will never again heed any "family vacation counsel" from him.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails