Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sharing Some of My Finest Skills

I've said it for years, and for the most part, it's the same for all my children... Unless it is bedtime or the weekend, it is very difficult for me to keep my children entertained for very long in front of a screen. It isn't that we put strict limits on any screen time, we've never needed to. Computers and television aren't a big distraction around here. (Okay, occasionally someone will pick up my cell phone and play a game, but not often.)

It's always been a big pet peeve of mine that my children can't last the entirety of a television show or movie during the day, or want to spend time in front of the computer. I wish they would, especially the little boys when I want to keep them inside the house for whatever reason. Sometimes I am known to bribe them with a treat. But the attention to the screen only lasts as long as the treat.

Case in point.

Some days, like yesterday, I felt sluggish and lazy. I wanted nothing more than to lay down on the couch for a little while and do nothing. I didn't want to have to keep an eye out for Drew in and out of the house, and so I did what I had to do.

I bribed Drew with a container of left-over cookie dough in the fridge. I told him he could have it all to himself (well, of course after I took some for myself) if he'd watch a show, while I closed my eyes for a bit.

Thirty minutes later, I awoke to the singsong sounding out of the letter "W" on the Letter Factory DVD, the sound of Drew "vrrrmming" a truck in another room and...

the empty cookie dough container on the floor in front of me.
Some days my mothering skills amaze me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails