Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Mini MTC

One of these days, I'm going to get around to writing an article about my mother-in-law. Until then, suffice it to say that I wouldn't have always said the following: My mother-in-law (and for the most part my father-in-law) are pretty dang awesome.

For a lot of reasons.
But today I'll focus on just one.

As Mike said recently, "The best way for them to show their grandchildren their love of the gospel (our Mormon beliefs) is to show them by example." My in-laws love missionary work. They have served 3 missions thus far, and are currently serving in a branch presidency at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo, UT.

Last month they held a "Mini-MTC" for their Utah grandchildren. (Although the 3 in Kentucky Face-timed to participate in some of it.)
I met a friend for dessert and then shopped and Mike worked on a bid nearby, while the children engaged in all sorts of activities that taught some pretty valuable life-skills. (And will certainly come in handy as missionaries too.)

They wrote letters to the missionary cousin, and in the process were taught how to correctly address an envelope. They sorted laundry and ironed shirts. They were each paired up (older cousin with a younger cousin) and memorized scriptures, researched a country/city and made a poster collage, learned to lead music and who knows what else?

I returned a little early, and watched from upstairs. I was overwhelmed with the love and dedication, my in-laws have to help teach their grandchildren. It isn't their responsibility to do these things, but how wonderful to have grandparents helping us parent and teach our children life skills. (In a non-controlling and very subtle way.)

The event all ended nicely with the surprise reading of a new mission call...
New York City Public Affairs Mission!

My new found love for traveling (due largely in part to my mother-in-law, see I told you she was awesome) will now take me (and Mike and some children) to NYC sometime in the next 18 months.

I love my in-laws.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails