Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ellie's Special Day

Considering the rough start we had to Saturday morning with Luke's emergency barber shop trip, it turned out to be a lovely day.

Well if you don't count the song I sang to Ellie when she woke up.

Saturday morning, Ellie climbed into bed with me and I began singing a song I learned years ago, "This is my day, my baptism day, life in God's kingdom begins in this way." Instead of any type of tender or spiritual moment, Ellie looked up at me with kind of a rude look and said the same thing at the same time as Mike hollered from the hall (I really think he had a legitimate reason to go downstairs and wasn't leaving the room simply because of my singing), "Did you just make that song up?"

 I didn't waste my time with the second or third verse.

Back to the special-ness of the day.
In our church, baptism is performed by a man who holds the priesthood, which Mormons believe to be the power to act in God's name. Fortunately for Ellie, she was able to be baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Mike. I love that at my children's baptisms, Mike gets to be "the star of the show." It seems mothers always get more of the limelight when their children have major events happen, and I love that baptism is a special moment between Mike and the children.

As I greeted Ellie at the top of the baptismal font, her dripping wet, I hugged her as close to me as I could. (Without getting my white blouse wet!) We believe baptism to be a covenant to take upon us Jesus Christ's name and to keep his commandments--a covenant I know is of eternal consequence. Baptism is a simple, yet vital step to eternity, and I was touched by the spirit as I held Ellie close to me fresh out of the water.

Before Ellie was confirmed, she sang a solo. It was her first time performing in front of a group, and she did a beautiful job singing, "I Wonder When He Comes Again." Of course Mike and I were on the front row, mere inches from her and we had both tears in our eyes and smiles on our faces. It was a rare glimpse to a side of Ellie we don't often see.

(I'm not sure why this particular picture was in such a small size--somebody sent it to me.)

I wish I had gotten a group photo of the 59 family members and friends that were with Ellie to support her on her special day. Instead we made a list, and that will have to do. I also wish I hadn't been in such a hurry to get the ice cream out for the said 59 people that we would have chosen a better location for our photos that didn't have a house in the background.


After Ellie's Baptism Service, she requested we serve ice cream "with lots of things to put on top." That we did--we had more candy and topping choices than we really needed--but it was a special occasion, after all.
(There were even more topping choices than you see here!)

I'm pretty sure Joshua and Drew regretted their unsupervised candy inhaling decisions as they both had tummy aches later on.

There are few days in our chaotic and rushed life that seem to radiate goodness and calmness. But this was indeed one of them. What a special day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails