Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Just Words

We are now in the 3rd week of summer vacation. I have mixed feelings about having my children home all day every day. I am forever in a state of "doing". If it isn't reminding a child to practice their music, it's reminding a child to wear clothes when they go outside. If I'm not doing the 43rd load of laundry for the day, I'm asking a child to please not keep fish from a nearby pond inside my kitchen.

I'm tired and I'm exhausted and we're not even half way through the summer.

But then last Friday, Luke volunteered to fix lunch (and clean it up) for everyone. His announcement? "I'm going to cook everyone a sandwich. What flavor do you each want?"

He was dead serious.

He thinks fixing a sandwich is the same as cooking one. And when he asks which flavor you want he's asking if you want peanut butter and jam, or ham and cheese.

I sat back and smiled and reminded myself there ARE some joyful moments of motherhood.


So what if Luke doesn't know the correct vocabulary for food preparation when he's 10 years old. While 10, he can drive a piece of machinery. (And he drives the neighbor's truck when they are hauling hay.)

I'm sure Luke will get through life just fine. 
Even if he does cook flavored sandwiches.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails