Wednesday, June 16, 2010

An Old Fashioned Commitment

As a young child growing up thousands of miles away from grandparents, I learned to write letters frequently.  I loved to write letters. And of course, I loved to receive letters. As a young teenager when I moved thousands of miles away from dear friends and my dear granny, I continued to love writing and receiving letters.  And then gradually, letter writing became something I no longer thought about.

Just a couple of days ago, I received an old fashioned letter in the mail from one of my favorite cousins in the world.  Her eight year old son sent one to Luke, and she sent an accompanying letter to me.

 (Isn't that the cutest letter ever?  From Luke's eight year old cousin, Ricky)

I left the letters on my counter and smiled for days as I walked by them.

I miss the letter writing of days gone by.  Text messaging, emails and Facebook will never be a match.  My children will never know the regular practice of letter writing, placing a stamp on it, putting it in the mailbox and the anticipation of waiting patiently for a reply.  That makes me sad.
My recently received, hand-written letter, has caused me to challenge myself.
Once a month, I am going to send an old fashioned letter to somebody.  Not a thank-you note, not a card, but A LETTER.

When was the last time you mailed somebody dear to you a personal, hand-written letter?
Because really, who wouldn't love a personal letter in the mail?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails