Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Elephants and Fairies

I'm not a huge fan of the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or even Santa Claus.

Even though all of the above dutifully visit our home at the appointed times, I much prefer birthdays. No having to make sure all of the children fall asleep quite as swiftly and quite as deeply...

Perhaps my lack of unconditional love and acceptance for these much adored visitors is a result of a little run-in Megan had with a few of Santa's helpers, back when she was five years old.

Combine Megan's run-in with the fact my mother frequently told me as a child that when I walked, it sounded like a herd of elephants were in the house. Don't forget to throw in the question Mike without fail asks, when he on occasion serves as a security guard in our upstairs hallway, "Do you have to be so loud?"

Do you get what I'm trying to say here?

Let me put it a different way.

I was THRILLED that I was three thousand miles away last spring when Ellie lost her first tooth. Okay, well I did shed a tear that I missed out on seeing the gaping hole right away, and I did lose a little bit of sleep worrying about the wrong person falling asleep too swiftly and too deeply... But for the most part, I was content that my elephant sounding feet and my apparent loudness, were far, far away from that tooth and pillow.

I know, I know, I still have years of faithful visits from some of our culture's most acclaimed people. And I've come to accept all that. I have guesstimated about how many more evenings elephants and sleeping children have to co-exist, and I have accepted it.

But oh no!
Now I have a daughter, who is in the middle of a 'Fairy Phase'.
A 'Fairy Phase' you ask?
Yes.

A Fairy Phase!!!!!!!!

Ellie has a little friend, who leaves all sorts of notes and letters under her pillow for a fairy.
AND THE FAIRY WRITES BACK TO HER.
Ellie decided if her friend was good enough for fairy visits, she must be too.

I keep reminding myself of my near-constant vacillation of wanting my children to grow up quickly and wanting them to stay young forever.  I keep reminding myself of all the tender essays I've written about how much I love the little things. I keep reminding myself of how quickly time is passing.
But none of those things are working. I want the Fairy Phase to END!!

I'll make great homemade birthday cakes, I'll throw fabulous parties, I'll do treasure hunts after school, I'll make half birthday cakes, heck I'll even 'magic' fruit snacks from my shirt sleeve, but FAIRIES visiting our home on any random night?

At least Ellie is learning patience. You see, at her friend's house the fairy writes back the same night. At our house, sometimes it takes the fairy a couple of weeks days to answer such questions as 'Dear Fairy, Do you like your job? Love Ellie"

At least the fairies eventually come.
But it would sure help if they knew about the note in a more timely manner...

(Yesterday evening, Ellie came running down the stairs very excited as she told me about a  "Dear Fairy-do you like your job? Love Ellie" note that had been under her pillow "for a lot of days." The fairy must have found the question endearing, because instead of writing on the opposite side like usual, the fairy took the note with her. Hopefully the note will one day magically return and find it's proper place on the scrapbook page.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails