Monday, September 26, 2011

Opposites Attract

I'm not much of a music radio listener, most often I am in the car with my two little boys, and the CD with Primary songs on it is always demanded. (by Drew!) If I am driving in the car with Mike, I prefer conversation, and the few lucky times I am driving alone, I favor talk radio.

Except on Saturday mornings when I drive to the temple for my early (early) morning shift. The talk radio stations are infomercials and so I find myself switching around music stations until I find a song I can tolerate.

One of the things (among many) that I find endearing about Mike is when he will spontaneously call me during the day to tell me he just heard a song on the radio and thought about me. (He spends a fair amount of time driving during the days.) It isn't always a spontaneous phone call, sometimes it is just a passing comment later that evening. It always makes me smile, and warms my heart a little, even though sometimes the songs he thinks of me during aren't always sappy and complimentary!

Most often it is country songs that Mike listens to. As I previously said, I don't listen to too many music radio stations, but early last Saturday morning as I flipped around the radio stations, a country song caught my ear. I felt like Mike! As a man's country twang sang out, the words screamed, "Mike and Tiffany" and if it hadn't have been 5:17am, I surely would have called Mike to tell him I was thinking about him.

Instead I waited until I returned home and walked into the kitchen and found my fabulous husband completely re-organizing and cleaning our pantry from top to bottom, to tell him:

You'll be my soft and sweet
I'll be your strong and steady
You'll be my glass of wine
I'll be your shot of whiskey
You'll be my sunny day
I'll be your shade tree
You'll be my honeysuckle
I'll be your honey bee

Mike and I are about as opposite as they come. He likes the kitchen pantry organized, I can make do with the consequence of five kids in and out of the pantry daily, and somehow still find what I need. I like to worry, Mike likes to be ever the optimist. I allow my voice to raise, Mike keeps his voice firm and steady. I remove my glass of water from the bedside table each morning, Mike is content with a collection of glasses by the side of his bed. I like to eat out, Mike is content with a cheese tortilla from home. Mike likes to always find humor, more often I like seriousness.  I like to talk and talk, Mike is content to sit and listen. Our differences could go on and on.

BUT, it all works for us.
And even though I may be more of the 'shade tree' in our marriage than 'a sunny day'. A shade tree and a sunny day are each loved, needed, appreciated and necessary, at the right times.

I heart my husband.
Big time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails