Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Nose Storage

Oh boy! I had really hoped to get on the ball with this "Photo Memory Project", but it just hasn't been happening. Doesn't help that I spent all day laying on my bed yesterday with some kind of cold/cough/sinus infection. And for me, who rarely ever gets sick, this sickness is kicking my butt. I dread playing catch-up after a couple of days of near-nothing, but such is life.

But yesterday while Joshua watched "Little Mermaid" for about the 43rd time in the past three days, (My younger kids RARELY make it all the way through movies, but Little Mermaid somehow has Joshua smitten.) I couldn't help but remember my now 26 year old brother who loved "Little Mermaid" when it first came out 20+ years ago. Which memory was then of course followed with those familiar anxieties I get of "Oh my word will I remember this?"

And with that-I'm pulling out a photo and doing a photo memory like I committed to.

True to what I said when introducing this project-this photo has absolutely no "photographic value" as far as a good photograph goes. Yet it captures a story that though was nothing more than a fleeting twenty minute period in Luke's life, I can't bear the thought of one day looking at this photo and forgetting what had happened.
(Nana, Luke and Mimi-April 2005)

Luke was 31/2 in this photo. Yes, even though it was the middle of a weekday afternoon playing at Nana and Grandpa's house, he was wearing his pajamas. (That's all he wore-well that or just underwear. Sound familiar?)

Luke went through a phase where he was constantly playing with trucks, trailers, tractors, etc. He favored the smaller ones. For whatever reason,  no matter how much Mike and I tried to tell him no, Luke loved to take the tires off of his little toys. We were forever finding vehicles with missing tires and/or miscellaneous tires lying around the house.

One day though he must have determined in his little 3 year old mind that he didn't want the tire he had just removed from his white John Deere truck to get lost. So he put it where he thought it would be best for safe-keeping.
???
His nose.

See that orange box to the left of my mother's head? That would be the first-aid kid which housed the necessary tweezers to begin the extraction necessary following the insertion of a rubber tire up a nostril.

I'm not sure exactly who retrieved the tire from his nose. In fact, if I remember correctly at the time of extraction none of us even knew exactly what it was we were attempting to extract.

Yet out came a little black tire.

All's well that ends well.
A package of candy must have been the reward for such bravery. Meaning Luke's bravery, not my mother's bravery for performing said surgery, despite her holding the candy in this photo.

I'd like to say he learned his lesson-but he stuck something up his nose one more time a few months later. A magnetic marble. And just as I inserted the tweezers to begin the marble extraction-voila!! I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or Luke at the speed in which it came out. I hadn't even considered that the metal-on-magnet would work so swiftly and instantly.

It's a pretty good rule of thumb to teach children-if you insert something in your nose-please make sure it is magnetic-it removes so much easier than a rubber John Deere truck tire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails