Friday, April 20, 2012

Real Songs

Last Sunday in Primary (the children's organization in my church), the children began learning and practicing a song that they will sing to their mothers coming up on Mother's Day in May.

Mother dear, I love you so.
Your happy, smiling face
Is such a joy to look at;
It makes home a lovely place.

Mother dear, I love you so.
Your lovely, shining eyes
Are just like stars that twinkle
Way up in the bright blue skies.

Mother dear, I love you so.
I'll try the whole day through.
To please our Heav'nly Father.
I'm so glad He gave me you.

Though 99% of the time hearing these young children sing Primary songs really does touch my heart, this particular song last week was making me cringe instead. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that during this particular song they weren't singing "truth" as much as singing "fantasy."

My thoughts were justified when the music leader asked rhetorically "Does your mother have a happy smiling face?" and one of the children answered, "No."

Though I couldn't help but breathe a big sigh of relief that it wasn't my child that answered the question, I had to admit that any one of my children would likely have answered it the same way.

My ideas aren't usually ones to go over well as far as Primary ideas go--but I'm hoping this one will. I think this song would make any mother feel a little more real when being sung to on Mother's Day. If nothing else, I'll teach it to my own kids instead.

Mother dear, I love you so. 
Even though you always say,
Do your chores and practice, 
Then you can go outside to play.

Mother dear, I love you so.
Even though you're often mad,
I will start obeying
To help your heart feel glad.

Mother dear, I love you so.
I'll try the whole day through,
To please our Heav'nly Father.
Most days I'm glad He gave me you.

Now that's more like it.

My children will start practicing this new song, this afternoon after school. By the time Mother's Day rolls around on May 13th, my children should have this song all polished up and perfected and I won't have to worry about getting a complex about not having a happy smiling face or lovely shining eyes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails