Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Few of March's Little Things

Despite all the other things that crowd into our lives as a busy family, I really have tried to stop and observe and bask in the Little Things the last few days as I've challenged myself to do for the month of March.

Sometimes I grabbed a camera, other times I wished I had one, and there were a few times I didn't want to spoil the moment and instead took a mind picture. I basked in more moments than these ones below, but here a few of my efforts.

~ Walking into the grocery store with my two little boys at my side each holding my hand. I didn't say, "hurry" nor did I rush them along. I walked slowly with the boys at my side and basked in the fact they were with me swinging their arms, and jumping their feet. (I only have three children left that will still instinctively grab for my hand.)
~ The girls working together in the kitchen making caramel popcorn to take to a hot dog roast with the neighbors.
~ Drew's excitement and contentment in placing some free stickers that came in the mail.
~ Ellie carrying Drew on her hip and comforting him while he cried, "Joshua kicked my chin."
~ The children laughing hysterically while Mike gave horse-rides, and/or bucked them off.
~ Drew insisting of going to the mailbox with me and riding Joshua's scooter alongside me with regular requests of "wait for me."
~ Playing a game of Rummikub with Ellie and her doing cartwheels in between her turns.
~ Megan using mock concentration as she demonstrated how to release a bundt cake from the pan and us laughing when it didn't work.
~ Luke trying to squelch a huge smile when some old motor scooters gifted from a neighbor's brother started running again. He couldn't stop grinning every time he rode them, or even mentioned them.

It has made a difference to slow down and bask in the moment for even just a minute. It seems that in those moments I forget the crumbs under the kitchen table, or the only half-effort done chores and in full clarity I am reminded,

The days are long, but the years are short. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails