Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Boston--Part 1 (of 3)

First of all, I have to say that on the morning of our last day in Boston, I sat in the hotel room eating my yogurt at our makeshift dinner table READING the HISTORY section of the Boston guidebook.  Just goes to show that my lack of preparations turned out just fine. I am now a cultured and informed person of Boston history.

Well sort of.

I have so much to say, and so many pictures to show, but little time to do it all. So I'll be as brief as I can, while still trying to do justice to such an awesome experience. Here are a few of the brief highlights, and then the more specific sites and my historic lessons will come later. 

One of my favorite things were the scores of large magnolia trees in huge bloom that we'd see.


I absolutely LOVED all of the churches we saw. They are on nearly every street and have so much charm. It was quite by accident we found the Boston LDS temple, when we happened to be driving a few streets away and I noticed Angel Moroni atop a steeple. We wended our way to the temple just in time for a glorious sunset.

My sister-in-law and mother-in-law were actually very fun traveling companions. Not that I didn't expect them to be, but I certainly didn't think we would laugh as many times as we did. And I mean laugh...the kind where your stomach hurts and you have to find a bathroom pronto. Which speaking of bathrooms--these ladies use them a lot. Which is probably why my mother-in-law actually had a printed out document she had Googled for the best bathrooms in Boston. 

Awesome.
I think I like to eat more than these ladies, especially treats, but I was thrilled when my mother-in-law picked us up a slice of cake to share from this very popular pastry shop we found along the Freedom Trail. Delicious.
Kristin turned out to be a stellar driver through the streets of Boston, of course due in part to Laurie's paper map navigation skills, and my gps navigation skills. Together we were quite a successful team.




The best laugh came when my mother-in-law was on the phone with Jimmy at the front desk and she had to lay the phone down on the bed while the three of us sat laughing uncontrollably. I can't really even tell you why we were laughing so hard, when all we were needing was an extra blanket and two extra towels. Even as I type this I'm laughing out loud at the recollection. I told my family last night and laughed hysterically while I told them the details, to which Megan replied, "Now tell us a funny story." Fine. I guess you really did "have to be there."
Our laughter lasted through-out the whole trip, with Kristin treating somebody's private driveway as a public round-a-bout, our navigation and driving skills, wrong turns, bad directions from others, me carrying strawberries and bananas around in my bag for an afternoon, my phone's gps navigation system that was forever "re-routing" us. (Meaning, we'd miss the "occasional" turn, not that the system was unreliable.) Laurie's brown bag she saved to take home that ended up ripped to pieces, and so on. None of which you would find inherently funny, but if you had been there, you would have.
I'm fairly confident I've earned the right to be invited to travel with these ladies again. We shall see.
(Lexington, MA where the Revolutionary War started)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails